ITV strike La Liga TV rights deal

Last edited by a moderator:
More people will watch a 1 round FA cup replay on the beeb than will watch liverpool vs city on a super Sunday.

The more foreign footie that is on free to air telly will raise its profile against the diminishing reputation of British paywall football.

If this is a trend that is to continue then hopefully it will force hand of the premier league and football league hand into creating a domestic terrestrial TV package.

More people will watch a 1 round FA cup replay on the beeb than will watch liverpool vs city on a super Sunday.

The more foreign footie that is on free to air telly will raise its profile against the diminishing reputation of British paywall football.

If this is a trend that is to continue then hopefully it will force hand of the premier league and football league hand into creating a domestic terrestrial TV package.
Here’s hoping.
If I was itv I’d take the feeds of anyone else who fancies a bit of exposure anarl. Get a rep: “ITV4 The Home Of Live Free To Air Football”. Bollocks to the PL when we aren’t in it is my view. Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Turkish, Russian, anyone.

Last edited:
Yes, they changed it to a more collective model a couple of years ago (long overdue) which has resulted in the overall rights shooting up (shock horror). The likes of Levante and Valladolid earned excess of €50m last season in TV rights money last season. That's nowt compared to the bottom clubs in the Prem, but it allows them to charge higher prices for their best talent or maintain their best players and also poach the smaller European leagues. None of that players striking or Michu to Swansea for £2m shite happens anymore.

Wonder if Italy will follow suit with the collective model?
Ideally, it would be perfect if all the big euro leagues did the same, marketed it well and gave the PL serious competition.

I’ve always wanted a chance to watch the Bundesliga but it’s always been on BT or Setanta etc...

Prefer that than watching Spanish football.

Back