Its time for the Virgin Media deal dance again...

Sorry, I'm not going to answer questions about IPTV itself on here, as its "banned" iirc. (Other than to say it exists, of course.)

£66.50 pm for...
  • fibre optic BB (200Mb or so I'm told)
  • phone line (unused)
  • what used to be there XL TV service (no movies or sports but loads of HD stuff and a UHD channel)
  • 2 Tivo boxes (lounge and kitchen)
How does that compare with others? I fancy some haggling over Xmas, like

£71pm for...
  • phone line (unused)
  • what used to be there XL TV service (no movies or sports but loads of HD stuff and a UHD channel)

100mb BB, phone line and M+ TV....42 a month. I did blag free BT sports for 6 months, when it ended last month they wouldn't budge this time.

Not trying to be a smart arse or owt here, but why do people still pay for Sky/VM?

I know IPTV subs aren't rock solid like proper telly is, but the savings are enormous. Do people fear a day without telly so much they'll chuck a grand a year at it?
A grand? :confused:

£80 a month on top of phone and broadband isn't unheard of, plus ppvs and film rentals?
That’s mental if people do that. I have to say I have a fair amount of sky products (tv, broadband, sports, box sets, films) which in total comes to 56 quid. Will chop films off after Christmas though.

Got the full shabang with VM, £88 p/m for the first year, goes up to about £125 in Feb. I'm looking forward to the January argument.

30 days notice in.
Signed up for Talk Talk. £25 a month, no price rises guarantee, no set up costs and a £75 argos/tesco/amazon voucher

30 days notice in.
Signed up for Talk Talk. £25 a month, no price rises guarantee, no set up costs and a £75 argos/tesco/amazon voucher
be interested to see what you make of talk talk in 12 months time... the actual vm fiber services always comes out well which has always stopped me from moving to another provider.

be interested to see what you make of talk talk in 12 months time... the actual vm fiber services always comes out well which has always stopped me from moving to another provider.
I'm waiting to see if VM get back to me with a better offer.
I signed up for Talk Talk as something to fall back on if VM are going to be arseholes.

Not trying to be a smart arse or owt here, but why do people still pay for Sky/VM?

I know IPTV subs aren't rock solid like proper telly is, but the savings are enormous. Do people fear a day without telly so much they'll chuck a grand a year at it?
I find it astounding how much people will pay for TV, there's more than enough on free view and Netflix is a bargain in comparison. Share an account amongst friends or family.

£66.50 pm for...
  • phone line (unused)
About £40 a month too much?

The picture quality is garbage.

The picture quality is garbage.
Full 1080p HD? Garbage?

OK, it's not quite broadcast quality, but it's a lot better than sd broadcast.
4k would be nice, but isn't available yet.
But then, I get my 4k hdr content elsewhere, loads more than on sky etc.

Full 1080p HD? Garbage?

OK, it's not quite broadcast quality, but it's a lot better than sd broadcast.
4k would be nice, but isn't available yet.
But then, I get my 4k hdr content elsewhere, loads more than on sky etc.
The resolution maybe 1080p but the bitrate is sow low its not even comparable.

The resolution maybe 1080p but the bitrate is sow low its not even comparable.
I'd agree that's the difference, aye. Bitrate isn't the same. Hard to say exactly what it is though - but for sure, the picture is better than broadcast SD. So its good enough for live telly imo.

Films and TV series I watch in the highest quality that they were originally produced in, via downloading locally - so its miles better than Sky/Virgin. Swings and Roundabouts to a degree...

For the people struggling with the WIFI of their Virgin Media hubs. Give a Mesh Network a try. My WIFI struggled to get above 40mb when performing a speedtest even though I was sitting right next to the WIFI box. I'm currently paying for a 100mb service so it was quite frustrating. The issue is not with your broadband connection, it's down to the crap WIFI implementation that Virgin use. When connecting a PC via a network cable directly to the hub it shows a 100mb connection so the actual internet connection works as expected but it was the wifi which was throttling the speeds.

I decided to give a Mesh Network a try. I bought the Tenda Nova MW6 for £140(Black Friday deal) which give 3 nodes and covers everywhere in my house & garden. Even at the furthest point on my property I was still getting around 80mb throughput in an area where a traditional wifi signal would not cover. You do need to do your research though, the model down from mine is the Tenda Nova MW3 which Amazon had on offer for around£50-60 over Black Friday although this system is limited to 100mb throughput. Other systems are also available from Google, BT etc.

To be honest I've tried the Virgin superhub wifi plus I've also tried other 3rd party routers/wifi systems to try and improve my home wifi signal & throughput with very little success, a Mesh network solved all my issues so I hope this can help some of you guys, especially the people with larger properties struggling with wifi coverage.

Back