Its not going to go is it?

You got your facts wrong with Sweden though, or you were trying to be cute and employing a snapshot in time. At the end of the day Sweden lie 5th in Europe per capita despite the other countries having prolonged and economically ruinous lockdowns. If we don't get a vaccine, and Oxford are now saying theirs is only 50% due to, wait for it, not enough Covid-19 patients to trial it on then unless we get some immunity in the population (and these other "model" countries you cite will face the same problems) there will be constant lockdowns and restrictions. In my opinion its better that a large chunk of the population get exposed to the virus (27% in Stockholm and counting) whilst doing our utmost to protect those at most risk. It's largely a male thing (70% of hospital admissions are male) and its largely an obesity issue (again 70% of those males were obese). There's obviously a genetic element too but for the rest of those under 70 it poses only a small risk....as I said earlier equal to the risk of dying from any cause in a given year.

Id like to add that I'm in and out of care homes regularly in my job and the way some have handled this crisis has been appalling. Well into April several I called at still hadn't locked down and I saw little evidence that some actually had a plan. Some wards at various hospitals containing Covid-19 patients didn't seem to have rigorous protocols either. The government are fair game here but they haven't been helped by poor leadership in hospitals and care homes.

I wasn't wrong in my facts about Sweden:
Sweden has had 35,000 cases.
Sweden has had 4,000 deaths.
Last week Sweden had the highest per capita death rate in Europe (and indeed the world)

If my original post wasn't clear enough I sincerely apologise, I was indeed quoting last week's statistics about Sweden having the biggest per capita deaths as a snapshot of the data - this was not in any way to be "cute" - 4,000 unnecessary deaths is not something to smirk about or score points over. It was an attempt to highlight the fact that Sweden had not successfully dealt with Covid in the way that other countries have, and the steady death rate showed that the lack of lockdown was still having a significant and negative impact upon the unnecessary death rate.

The fact is we appear to be measuring "success" with different measures.

I look at New Zealand with only 21deaths and no new cases at all in the past 2 or 3 weeks returning to normal and reopening the economy quicker than other countries as a success.

You appear to believe that Sweden with no lockdown and 'business as usual with limited limited social distancing' with 35,000 cases, 4,000 deaths and a death rate still at around 150 deaths per day as a success.

I'm sorry but we're going to have to agree to differ - because I can't view that as in any way successful - as it in no way stopped what are purely predictable and avoidable deaths of loved ones.

It isn’t like. Not if you watch the actual football and ignore the fact there’s no background noise to let you know when to get excited.

Bayern and Dortmund are still great sides, they’re not suddenly the Dog and Duck because there’s no crowd
I think the novelty might wear off, but I enjoyed watching the German footy for the first time at the weekend. Without a crowd , you tend to notice other things in the game you may not normally notice/see with a crowd. As I say not sure how long this will last , but for now , better than nothing
Are there no consequences from a trashed economy?

All deaths are regrettable but only around 200 people under the age of 60 with no apparent underlying health conditions have died due to Covid-19. To put that into perspective around 450 people die of cancer each DAY in the UK.

Around 35k died during the 2024/15 flu season but no-one suggested locking the country down and a third of care home patients die each year in a normal year.

What exactly do you suggest we do and for how long?

Last edited:
I’m enjoying the football break. Genuinely. And I am bored silly with Sky doing all sorts of shows to keep themselves relevant - “Jamie Carragher quiz round 453”. Bloody hell man.
I can’t believe they’re still bothering ... I love football and have done since I was 5 years old but I don’t even check the bbc footy website anymore. Total waste of time

Yeah but had we done nothing , I suggest the total deaths would've been nearer a quarter of a million. Because of the sort of lockdown , we have so far kept it under 40k , had we tackled it better and earlier it could've been 10k like Germany.

I can’t believe they’re still bothering ... I love football and have done since I was 5 years old but I don’t even check the bbc footy website anymore. Total waste of time
They’ve done all sorts of shows. Maybe for the first week it was fine, but now it’s so repetitive. I saw a Carragher video on YouTube the other day of his best ever team of PL relegated players and Kelly Cates asking Neville if that team would stay up to which he said “they’d be top 6.” Just give it up, seriously (until there’s some new football to show).

Are there no consequences from a trashed economy?

All deaths are regrettable but only around 200 people under the age of 60 with no apparent underlying health conditions have died due to Covid-19. To put that into perspective around 450 people die of cancer each DAY in the UK.

Around 35k died during the 2024/15 flu season but no-one suggested locking the country down and a third of care home patients die each year in a normal year.

What exactly do you suggest we do and for how long?
Don't know what kind of stuff you normally post, but I can only conclude from this, that you are thick as mince.

It's going to be 2021 until we see fans inside football stadiums and even then it'll be in reduced numbers.
Perfect excuse for SD as to why we are only getting 15000 next season but just incase your reading this that has nothing to do with covid 19 its all your fault

So lets just get back to the old normal. Like some politician said the other day we cant live like this forever, half of the population have probably got it or had it, your probably best of catching it to become immune, the strains will just reproduce to more strains so lets just say (The New slogan) fuck the virus we want our footy back.
I'm sure my children growing up without their mother is a fine sacrifice to make so others can watch the football again.
How old are your parents? How selfish are you?
Sorry Becs I didn't mean to catch your post.

Last edited:
Yeah but had we done nothing , I suggest the total deaths would've been nearer a quarter of a million. Because of the sort of lockdown , we have so far kept it under 40k , had we tackled it better and earlier it could've been 10k like Germany.

The figures aren't comparable with other countries anyway. Lots of countries aren't including care home deaths in their figures like we are and in Germany for example, if someone with terminal cancer contacts COVID and dies the cause of death is put down as cancer. In our country it's the other way around.

What a f***ing pathetic analogy. Did your friends driving put other people at risk of havening fatal or life changing car accidents and the effects of that accident multiply? Did it put the more vunerable in our society at more risk of having a fatal car accident? Did that bad driving spread and kill 40,000 people in the UK in a matter of months?

Football will get back to normal in due course and it will get back to normal - there'll be no big rethinks or wages going back to normal as people are predicting, once there is a vaccine or more controls are put into place. People need to get a f***ing grip and realise what's at stake here.

The poor clubs will suffer. If everything gets back to normal nothing will change at the top, absolutely nothing. People will move on and quickly forget what they've just been through. There will be no salary caps or fuck all, there's too much greed and too much riding on it.
And that second paragraph is a big reason why I feel like I'm finished with it.

As someone with health conditions that make me at risk, fuck off. I don't want to die, or anyone I love to die, just because you're bored of wanking into a sock and picking your nose.

As someone with health conditions that make me at risk, fuck off. I don't want to die, or anyone I love to die, just because you're bored of wanking into a sock and picking your nose.
Looks like you will have to self isolate till a vaccine or treatment is a available.

Back