It was brutal but funny

It’s Hever ( as opposed to it matching @Reiver :lol:).
Not that far from me tbh
Having a few bob in these rural areas helps, but being skint is an absolute nightmare. I’m in the middle before anyone comments :rolleyes:

I was up for the first game last week & made a weekend of it with Mrs W & 2 Friends. Friends had never been before & loved it. They even enjoyed being in the Col Tav Sat afternoon & again Sun afternoon to have a beer with @horselover
Spelling not my strong pint marra!i stayed in lingfield( stupidly never connected it with hosses till i passed racecourse) can imagine if you had nowt would be v tough....as i say people in village inn couldnt do enough for you...locals loved having a crack...traffic was nightmare on a Sunday on way home around Dartford but all in all was v impressed with the area

Spelling not my strong pint marra!i stayed in lingfield( stupidly never connected it with hosses till i passed racecourse) can imagine if you had nowt would be v tough....as i say people in village inn couldnt do enough for you...locals loved having a crack...traffic was nightmare on a Sunday on way home around Dartford but all in all was v impressed with the area

No worries, my spelling not brilient but fat thumbs are worse :)
You were right on the county borders of Kent, Surrey & Sussex.
Yes area nice ( but boring as fk now the bairns have grown & flown, rural village life doesn’t suit me after the Wakey yacker village I came from :)

Luton Railway station is depressing nd hopeless really for town of its size.
I got a shock couple of years ago when in Asda there, out of 12 checkouts 8 were wearing the Burkha.

They knew you were there & worried in case you thought they were Napoleonic spies ;)

Not that far from me tbh
Having a few bob in these rural areas helps, but being skint is an absolute nightmare. I’m in the middle before anyone comments :rolleyes:

I was up for the first game last week & made a weekend of it with Mrs W & 2 Friends. Friends had never been before & loved it. They even enjoyed being in the Col Tav Sat afternoon & again Sun afternoon to have a beer with @horselover

Gerrin class mate.

No worries, my spelling not brilient but fat thumbs are worse :)
You were right on the county borders of Kent, Surrey & Sussex.
Yes area nice ( but boring as fk now the bairns have grown & flown, rural village life doesn’t suit me after the Wakey yacker village I came from :)

They knew you were there & worried in case you thought they were Napoleonic spies ;)
I'm amazed you could spell spies.

Not that far from me tbh

I was up for the first game last week & made a weekend of it with Mrs W & 2 Friends. Friends had never been before & loved it. They even enjoyed being in the Col Tav Sat afternoon & again Sun afternoon to have a couple of beers with @horselover
Tidied

Luton Railway station is depressing nd hopeless really for town of its size.
I got a shock couple of years ago when in Asda there, out of 12 checkouts 8 were wearing the Burkha.

The station really?

Half an hour to London every 15 minutes..

One of the worst stations in the country I've been to is unfortunately Sunderland..

Pubs in the town centre were good and £2 a pint cheaper than Fitzrovia (unless you went to The Yorkshire Grey)

I’m not worried about the price of beer anymore, we even pushed the boat out and invested £7 extra and upgraded to first class coming back .

Sitting in the sun having a few beers and a bite to eat , watching Sunderland play away and not getting beat , total of over 15 hours father and son craic on .

Cannot put a price on that man , it’s priceless.

Some of these dives we end up going to following Sunderland is sad really. But then the away fans of said dump will turn up at the SoL and call it a shithole and claim they want to go home :rolleyes:

There is no winner with that chant mate. Our lot sang it yesterday and they will sing it at our place.

I hate the chant whichever side it comes from as its so negative, self defeating and un-necessarily antagonistic. When we go away as Sunderland fans we are ambassadors for our club, showing some respect should be the base line minimum. We stayed over in Luton and for what it's worth we had a good day and night and met some good honest down to earth people.

Gateshead have the right idea. When its sung at them, they reply with 'Gatesheads a shithole but we call it home'. I think that's the best way to deal with it.

Half if not almost all the people singing it at the Luton fans yesterday will have come down on a bus and hardly interacted with the locals at all yesterday and then left straight after the game. If you want to have the right to call somewhere a 'shithole' then at least have the common courtesy to spend some time trying to find out what the place and its people are really like.

Looking at the force website, it turns out that the Deputy Chief Constable of Bedfordshire is a lad I walked the beat with in 1995 and the Superintendent in charge of operations is a lad who was just starting his probation when I was doing my CID course and was tutored by a very good mate of mine. If you have any recommendations then I’ll happily pass them along :D

Treating people like human beings in a free country and let them decide which way they need to walk when coming out of the ground would be a start. People will have come in cars etc and may have parked on the opposite side to where the police were forcing us to go. We were walking back into town but were forced down to the main drag when there was a quicker route, supposedly to avoid us mixing with Luton fans, yet further down the road all the fans merged into one anyway and we ended up back in the pub surrounded by perfectly friendly Luton fans. The whole exercise smacked of the police trying to justify their presence at the game which quite frankly just wasn't required in anywhere the near the numbers that were there.

If you want to have the right to call somewhere a 'shithole' then at least have the common courtesy to spend some time trying to find out what the place and its people are really like.

Couldn't agree less mate.

Real shitholes are best avoided in my experience.

What could I possibly discover, about Luton, that I can't discern by a quick look at the place, seriously?

We also stayed overnight but our initial thoughts were only confirmed, not contradicted.

Couldn't agree less mate.

Real shitholes are best avoided in my experience.

What could I possibly discover, about Luton, that I can't discern by a quick look at the place, seriously?

We also stayed overnight but our initial thoughts were only confirmed, not contradicted.
Where you from ?

Back