It looks like they are going to open care homes to visitors

I’ve been broadly supportive of all the loosening of restrictions, like everyone, I want my life back, but I’m a bit nervous about this one.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love it to happen, as I’m sure most who have people they love in care homes, but I hope it’s done carefully and with proper measures in place.

This isn't a good idea.
I’m not convinced either, mostly because, from a personal point me mam is 82 and she’s desperate to see her sister.
I know it’s choice and I know people will say don’t go, but sometimes with my mam telling her what to do is easier said than done.
With younger visitors it might be less risky and, I’m sure for many residents seeing family after all this time would do wonders for them.
I really don’t know. I’m really struggling with it in terms of the right thing to do with this one

The better care homes round here have been allowing visitors for a few weeks now but it’s garden based only
I don’t think it’s necessarily just the better ones, because as far as I know they’ve mostly been doing it here too, this is talk of visitors actually being able to go in.

I don’t think it’s necessarily just the better ones, because as far as I know they’ve mostly been doing it here too, this is talk of visitors actually being able to go in.
Janey let’s put it this way if I was a manager/owner of a care home I would be very “careful“about allowing visitors into the home itself even if the government said it was ok. At best it would be a very selective appointment system

Janey let’s put it this way if I was a manager/owner of a care home I would be very “careful“about allowing visitors into the home itself even if the government said it was ok. At best it would be a very selective appointment system
I agree 100% like I say I can see the benefit for the residents and for their families being able to see them but it’s a very risky move.
For example, if I went in I would obviously be at less risk than me Mam but then there is a risk I pass it to me Mam. And we are just 2 people, multiply that across the country and it could be really dangerous.
It’s a minefield and a huge decision for the government given the debates about care homes anyway.

I agree 100% like I say I can see the benefit for the residents and for their families being able to see them but it’s a very risky move.
For example, if I went in I would obviously be at less risk than me Mam but then there is a risk I pass it to me Mam. And we are just 2 people, multiply that across the country and it could be really dangerous.
It’s a minefield and a huge decision for the government given the debates about care homes anyway.
Agree in fact whole virus has been a minefield, biggest problem is that all care homes are different as are The needs of the residents and families and there is not a one fits all policy that would be appropriate. It has to be a local decision surelY

Janey, you have to ask "what is the risk?" and consider it rationally. From what I can gather it's your auntie who is in the care home and your Mam wants to go and see her. Is that right?

You need to think about the possibility of transferring the virus. If your Mam has kept herself out of harm's way, is there any realistic chance she is a carrier? If not, what is the risk of your Mam passing it on? What, exactly, are you concerned about?

To be on the safe side, your Mam could isolate for 14 days to make sure she's "clean".

Considering possible transmission the other way, you need to satisfy yourself that the care home is reasonably safe for your Mam to go there. How many cases (if any) have they had recently? What are their procedures?

Hand washing and keeping her distance from everybody but her sister should also help. Even keeping a fair distance between them might be helpful in allaying fears.

Make a reasoned decision based on logic, not gut
feeling.

Think about the number of cases in the area and assess the risk as best you can. All the best.

We visited one yesterday and I felt very comfortable. They let us in via a gate in the back garden and had us sit in 2 chairs outside with the patio doors open looking into the lounge. Our chairs were 2m away from the door and they made sure my gran was 2m away herself from the door on the inside. We had a great half an hour chat with my Gran and it felt very safe. Obviously gutted we couldn't hug her but to see her after such a long period of worry and seeing her so well really made my day!

I appreciate your concerns though and can see why it might be a worry but probably best to call the care home and see what their procedures are as it may alleviate any worries you might have.

My Mam is in a care home. I took her for a drive to the beach on Monday for the first time since lock down.

I have been very careful during lockdown. Furloughed and only shopping until this week.

I have more chance of catching the virus off her as she has a lot of interaction with various carers every day.

That said the numbers of new infections is incredibly low in Sunderland. About 2 new cases per week. Obviously they'll be a few more but it's still a tiny amount.

Just had E_mail from Mother-in-Laws care home outlining visiting policy. Only one person at a time allowed to visit, no longer than half an hour, appointment to be made, outside only, they have gazebo set up. PPE to be worn.

Janey, you have to ask "what is the risk?" and consider it rationally. From what I can gather it's your auntie who is in the care home and your Mam wants to go and see her. Is that right?

You need to think about the possibility of transferring the virus. If your Mam has kept herself out of harm's way, is there any realistic chance she is a carrier? If not, what is the risk of your Mam passing it on? What, exactly, are you concerned about?

To be on the safe side, your Mam could isolate for 14 days to make sure she's "clean".

Considering possible transmission the other way, you need to satisfy yourself that the care home is reasonably safe for your Mam to go there. How many cases (if any) have they had recently? What are their procedures?

Hand washing and keeping her distance from everybody but her sister should also help. Even keeping a fair distance between them might be helpful in allaying fears.

Make a reasoned decision based on logic, not gut
feeling.

Think about the number of cases in the area and assess the risk as best you can. All the best.
Thank you for that, and yes it is my Aunty.
Everything you say is 100% right.
To be honest I’m not sure exactly what I’m worried about I suppose except we’ve done everything we can to keep her safe and I don’t want to risk that now.
We will be guided by what they say like we have done all the way through with everything. x

Speaking personally I’d keep it garden based for now.
Tbh all visits should be done outdoors. If needs be put a shelter up outside incase it rains. Better safe than sorry.
This ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Why take a chance that’s not strictly necessary?
Given the governments record re care homes during this epidemic I’d be very very sceptical indeed about placing too much reliance on their “advice” especially where extremely vulnerable people are concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking personally I’d keep it garden based for now.

This ⬆⬆⬆ Why take a chance that’s not strictly necessary?

Given the governments record re care homes during this epidemic I’d be very very sceptical indeed about placing too much reliance on their “advice” especially where extremely vulnerable people are concerned.
She isn’t well enough to go into the garden that’s the dilemma we have. She’s pretty much bed ridden x

She isn’t well enough to go into the garden that’s the dilemma we have. She’s pretty much bed ridden x
I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware of that. I did think about the people that were unable to get out of bed, maybe they could come up with a way of managing this? Maybe restrict entry to the home to those with bedbound relatives. It would reduce the risk.

Back