It is Record Store Day

I agree with him completely.

586 Records • Music Speaks Louder than Words

That’s different to people who have no intention of visiting and supporting a local record store going out, buying some limited edition rsd 18 vinyl then putting it on eBay 5 minutes later for £200.

The record companies don’t care as they get their money regardless.
Cutting off their nose to spite their face? Why not make the extra profit and use it as an opportunity to grow your regular customer base, even if it is just one person?

Cutting off their nose to spite their face? Why not make the extra profit and use it as an opportunity to grow your regular customer base, even if it is just one person?

It doesn’t grow the customer base though. They go in once a year and that’s it. Plus iirc the stock is non returnable so they could be stuck with it.

not cutting my nose off at all. my stance won't change, unless there's a major shift back to what RSD, was initially set up for.

my first year in business, I did an "all you can carry", as i'd bought about 4500 records from one of the lads from 808 state. after that, I've tried to get the best quality in, that I can. last year, the first record I sold, was a throbbing gristle 12" that I had on for £80 or offers and got £60 for. this year? I've over 10,000 records for sale, starting at £1, so that to me, is a good enough reason to have people come in for a browse. the majority of the stock from RSD distributors, cannot be returned. huge outlays for shops.

what started off as small independent labels saying "thank you" to record shops who'd supported them in the lean times when the likes of HMV etc ditched selling vinyl, has morphed into something that the major labels have taken over and as such, blocked the opportunity for many small labels, to have records pressed and available to buy.

look at some of the absolute shite, that's come out, the last few years. aqua "Barbie girl", FGTH "Liverpool" (the album that killed their career), culture club "colour by numbers" (splattered vinyl??)

the amount of stuff that i'm waiting on, that's getting pushed further back at pressing plants, is ridiculous and for what? "waterfront" - john squire & mani, pre stone roses, demo...(what's the quality of the recording, going to be like and the music itself?) "the high"RSD release. the latter had maybe 4 records out that I can remember, never 'made it' and I've had the 12"s in my shop, for a couple of quid each. the FK mix of yazoo "situation". I found an original mix of this, a week or so ago for £3. the RSD release is about £22.

people don't need to be told, when to go and buy records and the majority of people with a brain in their head, don't. many avoid RSD.

fair play to those who have been in the game for a lot longer than I have and due to RSD, have battled on and continue to be in business. but for me, it's nothing I have an interest in and i'm proud of the fact that I stick to my guns on this.

Last edited:
Going into Scouseland today (wallet firmly in front pocket). Gonna see if i can re-purchase the first record i ever bought! The Tourists - i only want to be with you

not cutting my nose off at all. my stance won't change, unless there's a major shift back to what RSD, was initially set up for.

my first year in business, I did an "all you can carry", as i'd bought about 4500 records from one of the lads from 808 state. after that, I've tried to get the best quality in, that I can. last year, the first record I sold, was a throbbing gristle 12" that I had on for £80 or offers and got £60 for. this year? I've over 10,000 records for sale, starting at £1, so that to me, is a good enough reason to have people come in for a browse. the majority of the stock from RSD distributors, cannot be returned. huge outlays for shops.

what started off as small independent labels saying "thank you" to record shops who'd supported them in the lean times when the likes of HMV etc ditched selling vinyl, has morphed into something that the major labels have taken over and as such, blocked the opportunity for many small labels, to have records pressed and available to buy.

look at some of the absolute shite, that's come out, the last few years. aqua "Barbie girl", FGTH "Liverpool" (the album that killed their career), culture club "colour by numbers" (splattered vinyl??)

the amount of stuff that i'm waiting on, that's getting pushed further back at pressing plants, is ridiculous and for what? "waterfront" - john squire & mani, pre stone roses, demo...(what's the quality of the recording, going to be like and the music itself?) "the high"RSD release. the latter had maybe 4 records out that I can remember, never 'made it' and I've had the 12"s in my shop, for a couple of quid each. the FK mix of yazoo "situation". I found an original mix of this, a week or so ago for £3. the RSD release is about £22.

people don't need to be told, when to go and buy records and the majority of people with a brain in their head, don't. many avoid RSD.

fair play to those who have been in the game for a lot longer than I have and due to RSD, have battled on and continue to be in business. but for me, it's nothing I have an interest in and i'm proud of the fact that I stick to my guns on this.
Fair enough. Didn't realise that a record store owner was on here but fair points and reasoning for rejecting it.

Both record stores here are closed until at least 10.30am and I'm the only person waiting.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Didn't realise that a record store owner was on here but fair points and reasoning for rejecting it.

Both record stores here are closed until at least 10.30am and I'm the only person waiting.

1030? you're not outside mine, are you? ;)

thanks for your words

aye, I just don't get involved. I haven't the patience for people who I wouldn't have seen week in week out, keeping me afloat - who'd land in my shop and then be buying off me, to put straight onto ebay, whilst they were still in my shop. i'd be on a gbh charge.

1030? you're not outside mine, are you? ;)

thanks for your words

aye, I just don't get involved. I haven't the patience for people who I wouldn't have seen week in week out, keeping me afloat - who'd land in my shop and then be buying off me, to put straight onto ebay, whilst they were still in my shop. i'd be on a gbh charge.
No, I'm in Málaga.

You could have just ordered in the rarest ones and sold them for max profit if you hate the idiots so much. :D

No, I'm in Málaga.

You could have just ordered in the rarest ones and sold them for max profit if you hate the idiots so much. :D

funnily enough, I bought a large order in this week and amongst that, was 4 copies of the Dimitri from paris RSD release (I just bought it in, as it looked interesting). turns out there's not many in the UK and it's in high demand. so i'm going to cancel out the flippers and get the maximum back in for the 3 I have left. the money generated will go back into keeping my shop afloat and buying more stock in.

funnily enough, I bought a large order in this week and amongst that, was 4 copies of the Dimitri from paris RSD release (I just bought it in, as it looked interesting). turns out there's not many in the UK and it's in high demand. so i'm going to cancel out the flippers and get the maximum back in for the 3 I have left. the money generated will go back into keeping my shop afloat and buying more stock in.
Just been to the first store in Málaga where I went last year and funnily enough he said he was only doing pre-orders as he doesn't like Record Store Day.

cheers for the heads up. i'll stick it on, when I eventually get in :lol:

You've been very restrained on this thread about people using the word vinyls :lol:

Perfectly fine that, and fair enough.

Although I was going to go to hot rats for the first time in years :lol::oops:

You should still go because he has no returns on the stock. He said something on Facey earlier along the lines of if he doesn't get rid of the stock the shop will go bust. I'm guessing that was only a half joke. Illustrates what td is saying though.

Last edited:
I managed to get nothing and my dad was too busy to pick up anything in the UK. Funnily enough he is actually in the North East (this is very rare) and considered going to the stores in Sunderland but hasn't bothered.

Love that record.

Early start, queued up at Windows in Ncle from 6.45am and at 9.15am got what I waited for, the Zep yellow vinyl release of Rock n Roll (sunset mix).

I bought it to play it but really need to get a better set up. Must admit this whole RSD has rekindled my interest in vinyl, having a record in your hand beats a CD any day of the week, and a download even more by default.

I heard from people in store that one person spent around £1400 on vinyl today, wow.

Last edited:

Back