It appears that the crowd and the SOL is giving these players confidence

I know what you mean, there.

If it wasn't for the financial side of things - the club needing the parachute payments - I'd be happy down here watching players whose dream it is to play at a stadium like the SoL, winning nearly every week against teams who are awestruck by our fans and stadium. :lol:

I'm really enjoying the season so far. It'll almost be sad to get back into the Championship if we win promotion. :lol:
I agree with all mate, but would prefer championship as our level. Couldn't give a toss about the Prem.

Decent read in Saturdays match programme about O'Nien….."privileged" to be here..and a great opportunity".....similar to comments from the other new arrivals....I know actions speak louder than words, but just got a hunch that we'll all enioy this season....

Yes, but the Man U situation merely highlights the problem. All is not well at that club and hasn’t been since Fergie left. The genuine fans very unhappy and disconnected with the ownership, several managers come and gone, player turnover relatively high and overpaying for the wrong characters.... just like us! If you’re a top player, why would you choose to go there against another club if it’s not for the huge money they’re capable of offering? It’s clear it’s not a happy place.
On your other point, I find myself agreeing with you! :lol:I’m actually starting to enjoy my football again with us at the moment for the first time in a long time and I’ve no immediate desire to go back to the past.... at least not under previous terms! I, as you and others have, have been crying out for years for the changes we’re currently making and I’m excited to see where it can take us, I’m not too impatient either.
I think that even before Fergie left mate, the wheels were coming off and he realised it.

Expect such teams to park the bus now when they play us at the SOL. Our skill players will have to step up and unlock those formations.
If we play the way we did in the first halves against Sheffield Wednesday and sCUNThorpe. They would have to be exceptionally good defensively.

free tickets given to people who couldn't give a fuck just to make the sol look more full for propaganda
I know of young lads who are season card holders that got hooked purely by getting free tickets at school when they were kids mate. There’s two sides to this, but I can see your side of it as well.

That, as well as playing league one teams as opposed to prem.
You can only play what’s in front of you. And we are also a league 1 team marra.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cheap/free tickets basically saw people turning up who didn’t really care. As they had paid very little/nothing they were happy to turn up late/walk out early and this had a negative impact on the SOL. Although the players/tactics didn’t help :lol:, the previous ownership’s fixation with the SOL looking full for TV not only impacted the atmosphere, but it also devalued the event hugely.

Ticket prices for children at the SOL are excellent tbf - therefore I doubt ceasing the Foundation tickets will have any impact on parents taking children.

Won’t impact me but £30 for a couple of hours out is beyond a lot of families.

Wrt to your point about people not caring and leaving early, People were streaming out in their thousands on Sunday.

The cheap/free tickets basically saw people turning up who didn’t really care. As they had paid very little/nothing they were happy to turn up late/walk out early and this had a negative impact on the SOL. Although the players/tactics didn’t help :lol:, the previous ownership’s fixation with the SOL looking full for TV not only impacted the atmosphere, but it also devalued the event hugely.
The tickets are still really cheap.

How do you know the previous owner had a fixation on making the SOL look full for TV? The people in the stadium didn't impact the atmosphere, it was the shite on the pitch. IMO.

Won’t impact me but £30 for a couple of hours out is beyond a lot of families.

Wrt to your point about people not caring and leaving early, People were streaming out in their thousands on Sunday.

People did leave, but it wasn't at previous levels - plus of course the match was dead.

The tickets are still really cheap.

How do you know the previous owner had a fixation on making the SOL look full for TV? The people in the stadium didn't impact the atmosphere, it was the shite on the pitch. IMO.

They said it a few times mate - particularly around attracting sponsors. It was also a key reason in shifting the away fans as the empty seats looked awful on TV.

Although the shower on the pitch was the driving force behind the impact on the atmosphere - ticketing also played a part. For example, my SC is in the North Stand and during the cheap/free games you would regularly have large groups coming in late and then leaving at the first opportunity. They didn't care less about the match.

Just for the record, I am not saying prices should be increased (the prices at the SOL are great); I am simply saying the cheap £10 match tickets/freebies which the previous regime handed out like flyers should never be reintroduced.

To me, the money is all but killing the game. Back in the day, most of the stars of the game were ordinary geezers, like those you found on the street and none of the Prima Donna bullshit that surrounds them today. I seem to remember that Ian Porterfield lived in a semi in 73 and when I lived in Aycliffe, Colin Cooper of Boro lived across the road in a modest 3 bed semi. Maybe it's age fading my memories, but your, Bests, Osgoods, Teuarts, Lorimers etc were revered as much, if not more than your Ronaldos etc of today and when their careers were over a lot of them were screwed, not neccesarily because of bad financial management, but because they didn't have the excessive amounts of Surplus cash every month, that today's players get, to build up a nice little nest egg. Sad times.

If we play the way we did in the first halves against Sheffield Wednesday and sCUNThorpe. They would have to be exceptionally good defensively.

I know of young lads who are season card holders that got hooked purely by getting free tickets at school when they were kids mate. There’s two sides to this, but I can see your side of it as well.

You can only play what’s in front of you. And we are also a league 1 team marra.
Wish I got free tickets as a bairn, normally 2 for £10/20 or something. That’s what got me into going, I’m more on about the ones who go just to waste a Saturday

Wish I got free tickets as a bairn, normally 2 for £10/20 or something. That’s what got me into going, I’m more on about the ones who go just to waste a Saturday
I know exactly what you mean. I’ve been unfortunate enough to come across a few of these. Five or six of them sat by me a couple of seasons ago, came in at 10 past 3. Did nothing but shout abuse, buggered off at twenty to four and didn’t come back. Wasters.

....strange that that band of high earners felt that it drained confidence.

Excuses from spineless players and managers with poor tactical skills and judgement.

The winning mentality is back and we are on the rise again.

Believe.
Tbf that will change if we aren't winning games. Hopefully the feel good factor hangs around for a good while yet

For far too long we persisted in bringing players to the club who simply didn't want to come . I hate all of them but how many of us are enthusiastic about working somewhere we don't want to be ?

Agree with what you say, but even if we are somewhere we dont want to be, the majority of us would give a fair days work for a fair days pay. Most of them gutless gits, did not even give a fair days work for an over the top exemplary wage. a monthly

wage more that the yearly average of lots of the supporters.

Not so sure myself mate. Look at player attitudes at the “biggest” club in the world. Absolute multi millionaires with everything they could ever want from a football club yet poor attitudes still exist.

It’s different at this level, and to an extent in the Championship but (and I never thought I’d say this) I’m in no real hurry to get back into the PL
I still think with the right principles throughout the club we can be successful and be true to our roots, Burnley are a great example of what can be achieved when everyone pulls in the same direction, it's a big ask but imagine if these lads signed this summer can grow with us into the premier! I know you have to invest at some point but do it with diligence and it can still work, the likes of Defoe is a great example and one that surprised me, I was more interested in getting rid of Jozy and never thought a London spice boy would be remotely interested in getting stuck in up here but there you go, the hard part is finding the fuckers!

Contrary to popular belief the fans at the SOL don’t get on the players backs more than any other club. A lot of clubs would have witnessed very ugly scenes if they had the 24 months we endured, imagine West Ham, Newcastle, Everton in those circumstances.
Because we’ve had a couple of absolute strinkers at home over the last 5 years and a couple of games a season when fans leave en masse, a myth has been perpetrated by the media in particular of how hard it is for home players to play here etc. Nonsense.

Back