It appears that the crowd and the SOL is giving these players confidence

The willingness of all of our players to close down the opposition has been the high point for me in our new team, I got sick of us looking like the away side at the SOL, being absolutely bossed by Brentford etc. Suddenly it seems taking a throw - in to our own teammates is no big deal either. Thank God the days of Billy Jones are behind us. FTM.

You're right mate....getting the ethos of the club to where it should be is most important, and that stems from the top....something Short never realised. When it's right,everyone buys into it...the players,fans,coaches,the staff...everyone. It also makes it a lot easier to attract players to the club.
It's also why we've previously entered into some ridiculously expensive contracts for players.....it was the only way we could get them to come,even if they didn't want to. Word goes round this industry quickly,players talk to each other all the time and the message would have gone out what a hugely troubled and shite mess we were. It's early days,but the word will be going round now that things have changed and that will be reflected in our player dealings in the future,I'm sure.

Not so sure myself mate. Look at player attitudes at the “biggest” club in the world. Absolute multi millionaires with everything they could ever want from a football club yet poor attitudes still exist.

It’s different at this level, and to an extent in the Championship but (and I never thought I’d say this) I’m in no real hurry to get back into the PL

....strange that that band of high earners felt that it drained confidence.

Excuses from spineless players and managers with poor tactical skills and judgement.

The winning mentality is back and we are on the rise again.

Believe.
well put RM in my opinion it was worse than that actually, they staff and players over that period (with exceptions) just didn't care mate. No respect for the fans, the club and whats worse no pride and self respect, thats the thing I can't get my head around.

Not so sure myself mate. Look at player attitudes at the “biggest” club in the world. Absolute multi millionaires with everything they could ever want from a football club yet poor attitudes still exist.

It’s different at this level, and to an extent in the Championship but (and I never thought I’d say this) I’m in no real hurry to get back into the PL

I know what you mean, there.

If it wasn't for the financial side of things - the club needing the parachute payments - I'd be happy down here watching players whose dream it is to play at a stadium like the SoL, winning nearly every week against teams who are awestruck by our fans and stadium. :lol:

I'm really enjoying the season so far. It'll almost be sad to get back into the Championship if we win promotion. :lol:

Yes, but the Man U situation merely highlights the problem. All is not well at that club and hasn’t been since Fergie left. The genuine fans very unhappy and disconnected with the ownership, several managers come and gone, player turnover relatively high and overpaying for the wrong characters.... just like us! If you’re a top player, why would you choose to go there against another club if it’s not for the huge money they’re capable of offering? It’s clear it’s not a happy place.
On your other point, I find myself agreeing with you! :lol:I’m actually starting to enjoy my football again with us at the moment for the first time in a long time and I’ve no immediate desire to go back to the past.... at least not under previous terms! I, as you and others have, have been crying out for years for the changes we’re currently making and I’m excited to see where it can take us, I’m not too impatient either.

Well said,getting the right characters is to come to the north east is crucial(which if you have a few bob must be a fantastic relatively safe place to raise your family).JR seems to put a huge emphasis on this..signing hungry players with ambition

Niall Quinn likes this
Jack Ross has been a revelation to me mate. Best man management we've had in a lot of years, but credit to SD and CM for letting him and Tony Coton, get on with their jobs:cool:

I agree with much of what's been said here. I think previous managers & players appeared to think they were entitled to unwavering support no matter what. They didn't always seem to grasp that it's a two way street. A symbiosis in which players & crowd feed off one another to mutual benefit. Give us something, even a little, and we'll react positively. Then it grows. From what I've seen so far, Ross, the owners & the players seem to understand this simple but powerful concept.

Playing a game for a fantastic wage isn't working imo it's a privilege bestowed on very few lucky people.

Everything is relative to your perspective tho mate. I think my work is shit but I know people would consider me very fortunate.

free tickets given to people who couldn't give a fuck just to make the sol look more full for propaganda

Or allowing kids who may not otherwise get the opportunity to visit the SoL?

It's plain to see that a lot of our new players haven't played Infront of anything like 30k crowds or had the facilities that our club provide, you can tell that although we're playing in league one, these lads already see it as a huge step up for themselves and what's really encouraging is that these lads are grabbing the chance with both hands when picked and not hiding on the pitch.

That obviously comes down to the recruitment team bringing in the right type of player.

It was perpetuated in the local media as a "difficult place to play".

It became its own legend. Fans were being criticised with thinly veiled digs in the local press on a weekly basis.

Understandable hoots of derision at highly paid players being unable to pass a ball was highlighted as a major failing of the SAFC fan base.

Think it was 3 Home wins in each of the last two seasons. We’ve almost equalled that in our first 3 consecutive games. To do that we need to beat the team bottom of the league with a -9 GD to our +4. Surely even Sunderland cannot mess that up playing like this :confused:

Expect such teams to park the bus now when they play us at the SOL. Our skill players will have to step up and unlock those formations.

Sound ridiculous to say that but I agree with you . I know 3 blerks round here who stopped going to us and the mags and go to non-league games now . They love it . The main reason being that they can tell that the players really care .

....strange that that band of high earners felt that it drained confidence.

Excuses from spineless players and managers with poor tactical skills and judgement.

The winning mentality is back and we are on the rise again.

Believe.
That, as well as playing league one teams as opposed to prem.

Expect such teams to park the bus now when they play us at the SOL. Our skill players will have to step up and unlock those formations.
I agree with this. I view it as a mark of respect, in a way. You're quite right that (if it happens: it might be a bit premature just yet, but who knows?) it'll be up to Ross, his assistants & the players to find ways to overcome negative tactics from opponents. I don't know, but I'm guessing that Ross might well have faced this sort of thing when he managed St Mirren, so hopefully he'll have a few tricks up his sleeve as & when the need arises.

We've now got a lot of players in the squad who will see playing for us as the pinnacle of their career's. These players will see it as a very big opportunity to play at the highest level and are giving it anything...Plus behind them we now have a hungry new manager who also wants to achieve great things..

What do you mean exactly?

The cheap/free tickets basically saw people turning up who didn’t really care. As they had paid very little/nothing they were happy to turn up late/walk out early and this had a negative impact on the SOL. Although the players/tactics didn’t help :lol:, the previous ownership’s fixation with the SOL looking full for TV not only impacted the atmosphere, but it also devalued the event hugely.

Everything is relative to your perspective tho mate. I think my work is shit but I know people would consider me very fortunate.

Or allowing kids who may not otherwise get the opportunity to visit the SoL?

Ticket prices for children at the SOL are excellent tbf - therefore I doubt ceasing the Foundation tickets will have any impact on parents taking children.

Back