ISS Space Station

S

stephen cartwright

watching a documentary about the space station which was on the Nat Geo channel

They said an object the size of a grain of sand, travelling at 18000mph would bring it down

Then it was said nasa is monitoring all space debris and is able to alert the crew and they can manoeuvre the orbit.

Now, I have my doubts they could monitor objects from earth, the size of a grain of sand travelling at 18000mph. Or do you know different?

watching a documentary about the space station which was on the Nat Geo channel

They said an object the size of a grain of sand, travelling at 18000mph would bring it down

Then it was said nasa is monitoring all space debris and is able to alert the crew and they can manoeuvre the orbit.

Now, I have my doubts they could monitor objects from earth, the size of a grain of sand travelling at 18000mph. Or do you know different?

No they can't monitor stuff that size. But the majority of stuff that size isn't in orbit, it is pulled into the atmosphere and burnt up. The ISS needs regular boosts to raise its orbit. They can and do monitor large items like spent boosters.

No they can't monitor stuff that size. But the majority of stuff that size isn't in orbit, it is pulled into the atmosphere and burnt up. The ISS needs regular boosts to raise its orbit. They can and do monitor large items like spent boosters.
At last an educated reply

I watched sky at night and they showed how you can view the ISS with a decent pair of binoculars or a telescope

At last an educated reply

I watched sky at night and they showed how you can view the ISS with a decent pair of binoculars or a telescope

The next big thing to look forward to is the commercial crew resupply missions, so spacex dragon2 or boeing starliner. Dragon2 will probably go first, have a look at everyday astronauts video of the mockup of it along with their spacesuits.

More reusable than the space shuttle and will cost about 1/8th of a shuttle flight.

The next big thing to look forward to is the commercial crew resupply missions, so spacex dragon2 or boeing starliner. Dragon2 will probably go first, have a look at everyday astronauts video of the mockup of it along with their spacesuits.

More reusable than the space shuttle and will cost about 1/8th of a shuttle flight.
Cheers I’ll have a watch of these later

See it with the naked eye some nights
According to the ISS Detector app I have installed on my phone it is not visible from Sunderland again until 18:59:44 on Monday 26th November an is only visible for 11 seconds, very low down in the south western sky.

It's then viewable again on Tuesday 27th November at 18:08:08 and is visible for 1 min 52 secs, again low down, this time travelling SSW to SSE. A lot brighter on the Tuesday though.

Back