Is your perception of the world really true?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

As someone allegedly said, what is "truth"? There are several theories of truth. Correspondence, coherence, semantic and pragmatist to name but four. Then you have problems involving necessary truths, contingent truths, a priori and a posteriori, it's a minefield. I'd recommend starting with Plato, Quine, Russell, Dummett, Putnam and Tarski and for mind dependent truths Kant. Enjoy. :)

No idea mate, it isn't something that concerns me. I tend to follow Hume and shape my personal beliefs according to what I consider to be evidence. For better or worse I lack the conviction you tend to show when posting your conspiracy theories.
Aliens are really here on earth you only need to do a bit research to see the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
suggesting atoms are quite empty
It's been known for a long time that atoms are mostly empty space
Actually, that's wrong. Sorry to burst the bubble. It's a lazy description of what an atom is. It's not your fault. I see/hear Physicists give this description all the time on pop-sci TV shows and in books and it's 100% bullshit. It's laziness.

The electrons inside an atom exist as a probability distribution, basically a cloud. The entire atom is full of energy. The Bohr idea of an atom looks like this..

Logon or register to see this image

But that's wrong, an atom actually looks more like this...

It actually looks like neither, but the latter is closer to the truth. It's literally impossible to describe or understand Quantum Physics without knowing abstract mathematics. But anyway, no part of an atom is empty.

As for OP's original question...

Right now what do you see? The screen, right? Nope. You're actually looking at the back of your eyeball. The light hitting your eye is both colourless and invisible, like sound (bad analogy but I'll carry on..). The brain collects the various wavelenghts of light, then creates an image based on the electrical impulses recieved. Your brain is what creates the colour you're seeing right now.

So what we see, by definition, is not real.

Last edited:
Actually, that's wrong. Sorry to burst the bubble. It's a lazy description of what an atom is. It's not your fault. I see/hear Physicists give this description all the time on pop-sci TV shows and in books and it's 100% bullshit. It's laziness.

The electrons inside an atom exist as a probability distribution, basically a cloud. The entire atom is full of energy. The Bohr idea of an atom looks like this..

It actually looks like neither, but the latter is closer to the truth. It's literally impossible to describe or understand Quantum Physics without knowing abstract mathematics. But anyway, no part of an atom is empty.

Right now what do you see? The screen, right? Nope. You're actually looking at the back of your eyeball. The light hitting your eye is both colourless and invisible, like sound (bad analogy but I'll carry on..). The brain collects the various wavelenghts of light, then creates an image based on the electrical impulses recieved. Your brain is what creates the colour you're seeing right now.

I was more saying that to point out that it's not some recent breakthrough by top scientists. Electron positions are more a description of probability than an actual physical location around a nucleus. It's weird, and confusing, and I love it.

You tend to find that anyone who acts like they have a total grasp of quantum mechanics is talking bollocks

I was more saying that to point out that it's not some recent breakthrough by top scientists. Electron positions are more a description of probability than an actual physical location around a nucleus. It's weird, and confusing, and I love it.

You tend to find that anyone who acts like they have a total grasp of quantum mechanics is talking bollocks

Fair enough. I was just pointing out a common mistake that many people make, and tbf it's not their fault. I've heard 100 times physicists describe an atom as mostly empty space and it drives me crackers. It's obviously not stupidity on their part so I can only assume it's laziness.

And I agree with your pic. The only way to truly describe QM is using maths. It's literally imposible to visualise the motion of an electron.

Watch the first 13 minutes of this...

Last edited:

Plus even leaving aside the visual mechanics it's a past event by the time it is perceived and relies on appraisal coloured by old experience and huge gap bridging by the brain to create an experiental narrative.
If you can know the true complete experience of one breath from impulse, to its arising, it's complete abiding and passing away, you will become enlightened. You never will, try it, your mind will interrupt.
How can there be truth when contact is run through such an unpredictable monitor.

Plus even leaving aside the visual mechanics it's a past event by the time it is perceived and relies on appraisal coloured by old experience and huge gap bridging by the brain to create an experiental narrative.
If you can know the true complete experience of one breath from impulse, to its arising, it's complete abiding and passing away, you will become enlightened. You never will, try it, your mind will interrupt.
How can there be truth when contact is run through such an unpredictable monitor.
Poetic.

Good post, fella. ;)

Our perception of the world around us is probably very individualized to each persons translation of the information you receive.

All your senses essentially feed a stream of electrical impulses to your brain which then tries to make sense of what it is receiving. There are huge gaps in the information the brain receives which it fills with a best fit model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back