Is Watford the most Northern quick getaway point?

For the Checkatrade I drove to Milton Keynes and got the train straight into Wembley, stopped in Milton Keynes for dinner on the way back but was still back to the NE by midnight, and that was with a few stops along the way. Doing the full weekend this time but that worked fine for me.

For those driving to Watford Underground station, there's a Tesco petrol station handy more or less on route, just after leaving the M1:

Google Maps

It's right next to the Watford Central Premier Inn.

In case no-one's mentioned it... High Wycombe. Ever so slightly longer distance to the North East than Watford, but, shorter journey time. Aylesbury, too. Direct trains into Wembley, also, plus parking at the station for a couple of quid.

P.S. Rickmansworth and Berkhamsted are also good for a quick exit onto North bound motorways, again, with station parking and direct routes to Wembley.

I lived in Rickmansworth for a while.

Good shout really, station is 2 minutes from the M25 and loads of parking there. It's literally one/two junctions South of Watford but not as busy near the station so a lot quicker and easier back to the motorway.

15 minutes to Wembley on tube.

Last edited:
Dump your car somewhere on the Central line in the East side.....It is much much quicker to get away via the M11 then A1. Park in a side street near tube line (I normally use Leytonstone) then about 30 mins to Wembley....Same on way out, you will get out of London and be north much much quicker.
30 mins to Wembley from Leytonstone! :lol: Mebbes in a helicopter.
Remember the posters are asking about getting away from the ground not too it. Charlton will also be heading south.

In case no-one's mentioned it... High Wycombe. Ever so slightly longer distance to the North East than Watford, but, shorter journey time. Aylesbury, too. Direct trains into Wembley, also, plus parking at the station for a couple of quid.

P.S. Rickmansworth and Berkhamsted are also good for a quick exit onto North bound motorways, again, with station parking and direct routes to Wembley.

No point as its Sunday. If you are going to do that you might as well drive into to any Metropolitan Line station east of Uxbridge or South of Watford and park up on street or in a station car park. The trains are a lot more frequent, they carry more people and the journey is shorter.

30 mins to Wembley from Leytonstone! :lol: Mebbes in a helicopter.
Remember the posters are asking about getting away from the ground not too it. Charlton will also be heading south.

And the Central line does not go direct to Wembley.

Last edited:
For the Checkatrade I drove to Milton Keynes and got the train straight into Wembley, stopped in Milton Keynes for dinner on the way back but was still back to the NE by midnight, and that was with a few stops along the way. Doing the full weekend this time but that worked fine for me.

Where did you park in MK? The train station? How much was the train?

And the Central line does not go direct to Wembley.

Dunno if changing to Jubilee at Bond St or Stratford being advocated. I’d imagine Bond St to be quicker BUT it’ll be full of Charlton by then getting on ower Greenwich way and going back anarl. Stratford means sitting with em all the way from SE London and back.
I’d head North from Wembley by train or tube as the vast majority of the crowd will be heading south.

Massive massive car park outside of MK Station.

Cost £5 all day to park at the station, and another twenty return to Wembley (although I had to book it very last minute as I had been supposed to be coming down Saturday, so it was probably more expensive than it could have been).

Couldn’t be arsed with this shite mind

Would rather walk out the ground, 5 minutes to the bus then wait for that to leave

Done it 3 times so far and got away fairly sharp

looking to do Wembley and back in a day, and did Watford V Charlton last time around. Is this the easiest place north of Wembley for a swift trip home, or is there anywhere even a bit further North worth doing?
I think the easiest place North for a swift trip home would be wourgate, but I think getting to Wembley in time could be a problem

Back