Is there one black comedian

And yet, has it been challenged?

Out of curiosity @Cockney Mackem , why the bump?

I depends what you mean by ‘challenged’.

There’s been reasoned, reasonable and logical comment. (Ok I’m only talking about mine, but what the fuck, I’m not interested in anything that any body else has to say 🤫 … I’m kidding btw). Maybe it’s been thought provoking. Plant a few seeds etc. There’s also been a few ‘that’s racist’ type comments.

It’s a matter of opinion which is the best approach. But in my experience if someone has deeply treasured beliefs and opinions, there’s not an awful lot that can be done to change them. Pissing on rotten cabbages. And it’s only a football supporters message board.

I depends what you mean by ‘challenged’.

There’s been reasoned, reasonable and logical comment. (Ok I’m only talking about mine, but what the fuck, I’m not interested in anything that any body else has to say 🤫 … I’m kidding btw). Maybe it’s been thought provoking. Plant a few seeds etc. There’s also been a few ‘that’s racist’ type comments.

It’s a matter of opinion which is the best approach. But in my experience if someone has deeply treasured beliefs and opinions, there’s not an awful lot that can be done to change them. Pissing on rotten cabbages. And it’s only a football supporters message board.

I agree, but if their opinions are based on a racist notion, then it's worth challenging. There's always time for people to change their minds. I do agree that it's not worth the effort with some, but you have to try.

I can't say I find Judy Love that funny, but that's because I don't find her funny. Her skin colour is irrelevant.
See also Gina Yasherie or however you spell it. Her "style" was awful to listen to, which is a shame as I'm sure she probably had some good jokes, but my word she was annoying.

I agree, but if their opinions are based on a racist notion, then it's worth challenging. There's always time for people to change their minds. I do agree that it's not worth the effort with some, but you have to try.

It depends what you mean by ‘try’.

[insert the entirety of the wording from my message, that you quoted, here * ]

It depends what you mean by ‘try’.

[insert the entirety of the wording from my message, that you quoted, here * ]

Simply saying "You seem to really dislike them. Why is that?" and exploring it. It's a better starting point than marking them as a racist. They might just be a bit thick.
Or they might not like their style of comedy or what they talk about. It's not for everyone.
I went to "Laughing Cows" which was an all female comedy night at the Frog and Bucket a few times. They had a charity bucket for our charity at the time.
I suspect a lot of people wouldn't have enjoyed that, but if it resonated with you - particularly if you're a woman - then you might have enjoyed it more.

Simply saying "You seem to really dislike them. Why is that?" and exploring it.

“They’re just not funny”

“Why is that?”

“I just don’t find them funny”

“Is there an explanation for that?”

Option 1 “No. They’re just not funny. You calling me racist like? f***ing libtard leftie virtue signalling snowflake”

Option 2 “No. They’re just not funny. I think you may be hinting that what I’m saying is racist in some way. Why must anything that mentions that a black comedian isn’t funny, automatically ‘racist’? I didn’t like [insert name of white comedian] … If a black man said he didn’t like him, would that be racist?”

Option 3 is a combination of 1 and 2.

It sometimes takes a while to get there, but it usually does. There’s often a mention of some game that involves a card with ‘race’ written in it too iirc. And a mention of a ‘brigade’. And Brexit.

See, if you stopped at "I don't find them funny" that should be enough, but you know some will want to dig into why that might be.

See, if you stopped at "I don't find them funny" that should be enough, but you know some will want to dig into why that might be.

The point being that some people are curious as to why someone else finds a load of comedians unfunny and the only similarity that the comedians share is the colour of their skin, their gender, their nationality, their perceived sexual orientation or something … it provokes curiosity at a minimum, and very often assumptions. My point is that the curiosity (and/or challenge based on assumption) is invariably met with a bland and non-comittal response and the assumptions are always denied - often with defensive outrage.

Of course it’s always possible that the thoughts that are shared are entirely innocent of anything that is prejudging a topic or person or group based on characteristics that I’ve mentioned. But my experience of these message boards is that entrenched views are very rarely dislodged or uprooted (the closest antonyms I can think of for ‘entrenched’).

And you’ll NEVER change my mind on that!!

😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t trust people who don’t find Patrice funny. Wronguns.
OK, I went back & watched the rest of it. Yeah, it was fine. There was a few laughs. Nothing incredible.

Why on earth white people pay to go to see him is beyond me. He just seemed to take the piss out of them & make them feel totally uncomfortable while all the black people laughed at them.

OK, I went back & watched the rest of it. Yeah, it was fine. There was a few laughs. Nothing incredible.

Why on earth white people pay to go to see him is beyond me. He just seemed to take the piss out of them & make them feel totally uncomfortable while all the black people laughed at them.
We can agree to disagree. The bloke is funniest stand up of the last 40 years. No one gets anywhere near.
Luckily it doesn’t matter that people like different things.

Generally speaking british ethnic minority and female comedians are utter shite. I’m pretty pro BBC but they have dug their own grave misgauging what a majority of their customers want.
I dunno about that. Plenty are, but then plenty of white blokes are utter shite as well.

I do think those groups have a smaller talent pool to choose from, so you end up with the same faces and if you think they're not funny and keep seeing them you're going to remember them.

Back