Is there any point learning the bass guitar?

I did say it was the first thing that sprang to mind! If I'd given it more thought I'm sure I'd have come up with something else.
Good bass though
Thereā€™s a few tracks spring to mind with cracking bass lines that enhance the track, Future Sound of London, Papua New Guinea. Massive Attack, Unfinished Sympathy and Geneside II, Nara Mine.

I told a lad to test his sub with them a good number of years ago. šŸ˜

People who donā€™t appreciate bass guitar are the people who only eat the icing off a cake.

Agreed.

I dabbled a bit in my youth and would describe my ability as ā€œfunctionalā€ at best.

But, itā€™s given me a much bigger appreciation for base lines and certain songs are made by them.

Due to the relative symplicity of playing the bass compared to a 'normal' guitar, I would say that it is the ideal instrument for anyone who would like to play in a band without years of learning all kind of weird chords. You can make a load of noise and if you become half decent, linking with a good drummer it can become an art form.

Plus you can play the bass when you're half pissed.

As for bass solos, check out the bit in the middle of Abba Zaba by Captain Beefheart.

Brilliant that. Just wondering how you came about your username ?
Just played in bands from 16 really and I'm 38 now. Not doing it as actively nowadays but still in a band with some mates playing covers and doing the odd gig now and again for a laugh. From 18-28 I was actively trying to "make it" and get signed, we came close on a few occasions but always fell short at what felt like was the last hurdle at the time. Such is life I suppose!

Back