Is there any point learning the bass guitar?

If you only want to play melodies in your bedroom, don't learn bass. It's the groove that holds the song together, joins the melody to the rhythm. You notice it more in a band/live environment.

Sexy wads are bass players: Paz lechantin, Sean yseult, Kim deal, even suzi quatro if I want go back far enough.
The section in Judith where she puts her pick in her mouth and swirls her hair into a bunch is one of the sexiest things ever for me.
Suzi Quatro never did owt for me, decent player tho'.
D'Arcy Wretsky, Melissa Auf Der Maur and the late Kim Shattuck also worth a nod.

Crikey! That is some band; Billy Cobham, Jan Hammer, Tommy Bolin and this guy.
Personally I've always had a soft spot for Jack Bruce. This is what happened when Frank Zappa got him in the studio.
If you haven’t already check out Spectrum by Billy Cobham….fantastic album and the reason I play drums…

If you haven’t already check out Spectrum by Billy Cobham….fantastic album and the reason I play drums…
The vinyl is one of my treasured possessions. There is a kind of magic in music when supreme talents play essentially live. It was done in a couple of days, and mostly first takes.
The drummer in a band I used to roadie for went to Billy's masterclasses on several occasions and is still a rated session player. Bill was a generous soul in sharing his skills.

If you only want to play melodies in your bedroom, don't learn bass. It's the groove that holds the song together, joins the melody to the rhythm. You notice it more in a band/live environment.
You get the odd person who is dying to be in a band at all costs and will play really bad bass with nice hair but i think for many its a great intsrument to learn solo. Put a record on and play along .Its a world away from guitars and keys and has its own place
I've played since 1979 i still love hearing a tune and thinking What are they doing there ? and picking my bass up

The vinyl is one of my treasured possessions. There is a kind of magic in music when supreme talents play essentially live. It was done in a couple of days, and mostly first takes.
The drummer in a band I used to roadie for went to Billy's masterclasses on several occasions and is still a rated session player. Bill was a generous soul in sharing his skills.
I've still got vinyl from 1973....was my dads originally..
Cobham will always be my favourite drummer...but all the players on that Album were top class..I love Sklar's tone and style..what a rhythm section!

I saw a band on Friday I’d never heard of, their bass player has now opened up a few avenues I hadn’t gone down before.

Martin Glover aka Youth.

Back