Is there any medicinal benefit in certain foods?

Pumpkin Seed Oil Capsules shrink the prostate and stop you peeing all night- FACT

*makes note* "Buy pumpkin seed oil capsules"

On the subject of alcohol, I'm amazed no boffins haven't come up with a special medicine that alleviates hangovers in some way. It'd be printing money.

Last edited:
I had been fighting off mild cold symptoms for a few days, but on Saturday, my nose was streaming, I had a sore throat etc. When we went to Tesco, I saw taramasalata, and really wanted to get some, and got some. I ate 3/4 of a tub yesterday and finished it off today, and now I feel fine. I also heard something on the radio today about sailors who dreamed of vegetables when they were suffering from scurvy. Do you know of any foods that sort you out when you are I'll?, or is it just a coincidence?
Is ffs

No mate. Just eat lard, gristle and nuts and hope for the best.

GPs prescribe this frequently for alcoholics so there likely is some truth to this one.
and they even sometimes put it directly in the beer in the US I believe;

GPs prescribe this frequently for alcoholics so there likely is some truth to this one.
It has been suggested that it should be added to all beer in the UK.. The reasoning is that many alcoholics get the majority of their nutrition from beer and consequently end up B1-deficient to the extent that they get beriberi.

I've taken vitamin B1 (thiamine) when suffering after drink for years, I really do find it makes a difference, sailors took lime for the vitamin deficiency condition (beri beri) hence why we in the UK are known in some quarters as 'limey's'
They took lime for vitamin C deficiency (scurvy). B1 deficiency is usually caused by a diet of mainly white rice.

They took lime for vitamin C deficiency (scurvy). B1 deficiency is usually caused by a diet of mainly white rice.
cheers, drinkers often get low on the Thiamine as has been said earlier, maybe I've confused it a bit with the lime thing

It has been suggested that it should be added to all beer in the UK.. The reasoning is that many alcoholics get the majority of their nutrition from beer and consequently end up B1-deficient to the extent that they get beriberi.
Could be wrang like but I believe the old 'brown ale ward' at Cherry was primarily for this, must admit I've been low and had a couple of bouts meself over the years and its vile
Pumpkin Seed Oil Capsules shrink the prostate and stop you peeing all night- FACT
Pumpin seeds IIRC

Last edited by a moderator:

Back