Is the Haka cultural appropriation?

I agree with you, although the Jamie Oliver thing I get because he’s not just made some Jamaican recipes, he’s made up some recipes that aren’t actually Jamaican at all, and then called them Jamaican to cash in on Jamaicanness.

Ah fair enough, didn't realise that, thought he was just doing some Jamaican recipes, thought it was a bit harsh to suggest you couldn't do them if you weren't Jamaican! Makes a bit more sense if he's just cashing in with non Jamaican recipes!

Well I’m not sure. But I was thinking of that lass who got lamblasted (sic) for wearing a Chinese dress to her prom a while back or someone who got shouted at for putting cornrows in her hair, and I was watching a load of white blokes doing a Maori dance just there and wondered how they can get away with it when others can’t.

(For the record, I don’t think my two examples are cultural appropriation)
There's less wailing fannies around professional rugby perhaps?

Cultural appropriation has always existed, but it never used to be seen as an inherently bad thing. It was a neutral term that described pretty much what it sounds like. People learning from other cultures and adopting aspects of them into their own. There's nothing racist about, for instance, eating a curry, but that would be cultural appropriation. It's just a style of cooking we've learned from another culture. And yet the term has come to mean a specific form of racism.

The Haka probably is cultural appropriation, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Back