Is sending people into space a waste of time?

Whether or not it is worthwhile I think he money could be spwnt on better things. Same as the countless billions we spend on building more and weapon weapons, bombs, missles, aircraft carriers etc.

Why the feck can't countries just get on and work together on issues such as climate change, antibiotic resistance, poverty and scarce fresh water?
Because there's no money in that.

I heard Tim Peake on the radio today and he mentioned that billions upon billions had been spent on space travel and moon landings but other than ego, what has it ever achieved?

No, because eventually mankind will have to leave earth to ensure the survival of the species. Colonising other planets is one inevitable purspose of space travel

I find it a bit strange that we explore space, when so much of our own planet is unexplored.
That reminds me of my Gran. She refused to go abroad because they had not been everywhere in the UK yet. My Grandad had been stationed in Gibraltar for a while during the war, toured north Africa and then was part of the follow up line as the allies liberated France and swept through Germany. He would have loved to go back so some of the places.

They had a map of the UK and every time they went away my Gran would shade in the roads they went down so they would know where they had been and if they really had been everywhere yet. My Grandad died with it about 60% full.

My Gran never thought that there could be something new, very different and interesting abroad and wanted to go to very similar sea side and market towns.

Back