Is sending people into space a waste of time?

I heard Tim Peake on the radio today and he mentioned that billions upon billions had been spent on space travel and moon landings but other than ego, what has it ever achieved?

Yes, I believe it is worth while.

It is answering questions about how we are here and the basics of our existence. In future years it could well lead to mining of resources from space. Further on it might lead to us living on other planets or exploring deeper into space.

I look at it now as similar to people seeing all the money and resource going into Columbus's ships. Sailing off into the unknown, was it worth it? History showed it discovered new lands for us to populate and the discovery of large deposits of gold and chocolate.

In a few hundred years we will likely look back on these small steps we are making now as huge changes is the development of human kind.

More down to earth and immediate, you have to consider what those billions of pounds are spent on. Ultimately a huge amount is on human employment. People who build the space craft, people who control and monitor them, the people who provide the raw materials, the people who study the data returned, the people who drive parts, components, food etc. Then there are the immediate benefits from all the satellite communications, monitoring etc.

I’d sooner they all spent the money on cancer research etc
You can't have all the scientists working on one problem such as cancer.

If they found a cure for all cancers then the next big problem would be the massive population.

Whether or not it is worthwhile I think he money could be spwnt on better things. Same as the countless billions we spend on building more and weapon weapons, bombs, missles, aircraft carriers etc.

Why the feck can't countries just get on and work together on issues such as climate change, antibiotic resistance, poverty and scarce fresh water?

Yes, I believe it is worth while.

It is answering questions about how we are here and the basics of our existence. In future years it could well lead to mining of resources from space. Further on it might lead to us living on other planets or exploring deeper into space.

I look at it now as similar to people seeing all the money and resource going into Columbus's ships. Sailing off into the unknown, was it worth it? History showed it discovered new lands for us to populate and the discovery of large deposits of gold and chocolate.
That's a bit like Sky discovering football tbf :confused:

Back