Is religious extremism like alcoholism?

Qwerty

Striker
I've heard interviews with recovering alcoholics who say they can never be moderrate drinkers again, they have to make a ckean bresk from it.
Is relgious extremism similair? Is it possible for somebody whio has abused their religion to go back and take a more responsible approach to it?
Are clean breaks from their religion the only way to remedy their excesses?

Nah. Group hysteria for me, feeding offa each other.

Summed up very succinctly by those old rockers...Rush...

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill

They say there are strangers who threaten us
Our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness to danger us
In our theatres and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Nah. Group hysteria for me, feeding offa each other.

Summed up very succinctly by those old rockers...Rush...

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill

They say there are strangers who threaten us
Our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness to danger us
In our theatres and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Hell on with the trees anarl iirc.

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas
The trouble with the maples
And they're quite convinced they're right
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?
There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'oppression!'
And the oaks, just shake their heads

As JonMc says, plus a hole in your life I tend to think. In my experience religious extremists are the same as political extremists - they can tilt any way and it's just who gets to them first.

Reading the bible convinced me to become an atheist

I can well understand that. I've not read it, because the few bits that get quoted make it akin to some old supernatural story. I had a deprived upbringing, but one of the best things about it, and my parents was, i was never introduced to religion. It was never mentioned. Only at school did i hear about it.

I can well understand that. I've not read it, because the few bits that get quoted make it akin to some old supernatural story. I had a deprived upbringing, but one of the best things about it, and my parents was, i was never introduced to religion. It was never mentioned. Only at school did i hear about it.
I went to a catholic school, over my time there I read both testament and they're so obviously full of shit... there's no revealed wisdom in there at all. If you want to view something amazing, look at images from the hubble telescope.

Believing in an invisible man in the sky and his zombie son plus a talking snake is extreme however you slice it.
If I say I believe Jesus is a god and a man, when I eat this bread it becomes his body when I drink this wine it becomes his blood and wonderful news not only is he doing great stuff for me he is doing it for you too.... people listen.......... change his name to Elvis and everyone thinks your crazy.... what does that say about the average Christian? - Sam harris

Last edited:
If I say I believe Jesus is a god and a man, when I eat this bread it becomes his body when I drink this wine it becomes his blood and wonderful news not only is he doing great stuff for me he is doing it for you too.... people listen.......... change his name to Elvis and everyone thinks your crazy.... what does that say about the average Christian? - Sam harris

In any other context a religious believer would be a lunatic but add " faith" and they are simply people of faith.

Reading the bible convinced me to become an atheist

Discovering that Santa Claus was made up made me realise that god was made up.

Last edited:

Back