Is Phil Parkinson the most unpopular manager that we have had since Sgt Wilko?

I can’t remember the fans turning against a manager as quickly as this.

Laurie Mc, Moyes, Grayson etc were all pretty much universally castigated by the time they were sacked, with Moyes particularly and to a degree McMenemy maybe some time before their dismissal, but Parkinson started with a gun to his head as pretty much nobody wanted his appointment in the first place.

At least others had a honeymoon period of sorts.

Said exactly the same myself mate re replacement, and the current regime doesn't have a good record in that respect.

Exactly fella. Always end up with someone worse (with a rare exception)

At least we would have had a fighting chance of the playoffs with Ross. Yes his tactics were questionable but the players at least wanted to play for him. We look dead in the water with this fella in charge of first team affairs.

Hopefully the tide will turn today...hopefully. :(

I thought McMenemy and then Wilkinson but this bloke takes the biscuit, unless he can pull off some kind of miracle in the January transfer market, which I have serious doubts about :cry::cry:
Tbf to PP they built the teams they had and took us backwards, the current lad hasn't had a chance and with an unhappy ship to boot, he isn't doing himself any favours obviously but this is the worst squad of all time remember, I think a bit of perspective is needed (and a miracle!)

Strangely enough it is Howard Wilkinson who Parkinson reminds me of.
Both appointed around a similar time, similar demeanour etc. Theres also an argument that if you were going to sack Ross then you should have done it in the summer, not during the season like what happened with Peter Reid.
Both have been a disaster for us so far.

I dont give a shite what anyone else thinks - I said it at the time and I'll say it now - Ross should never have been sacked without having a better replacement lined up!

Old Stewie pandered to the baying social media crowd and pulled the trigger.... and got someone much worse. I'm afraid we might be stuck with this fella for a while.

Phil Parkinson and Boris Johnson!! What a time to be alive.
I remember when Reidy and Blair held the two great offices of state : the end of history iirc

Gone way beyond Wilkinson.

Willkinson was a comedy appointment, never really disliked him just thought he was past it and hapless. Similarly Grayson just out of his depth. Moyes became hated but wasn't at first, seemed a perfectly rational choice to appoint him.

But Parkinson was always an utterly idiotic appointment and now with all the other stuff going on, is approaching Mcmenemy status. Has to go.

Hmmm...dont know about that fella.

His Golden Boot/Rubber Welly comment about SKP when he was going through a barren run will always cement him as the worst manager of SAFC 've seen in my lifetime.

You're denying there's a problem with a subset of our armchair/keyboard warrior 'fans' spouting shite and trying to influence a chairman who embraced social media so much?

Or are you agreeing with my point?
The fans here are no different from any other set of fans up and down the country. What do you reckon the fans of Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Leeds etc, etc..would be going on like given the circumstances of the past few year? I suppose they would be playing in front of packed out stadiums all happily clapping along would they.
The pressure from the fans has been used for as long as I can remember as a convienient excuse for under performing owners, managers and players and it's complete and utter horseshit.

I think: (a) the manager's influence on team performance is less important than we tend to think; (b) player performance is far more important than (a); and (c) luck plays a greater part in match outcome than we like to think.

Therefore, I'm never that bothered who the manager is. Managers come & go, no matter how good or bad their perceived performance. They all hit a bad run of results at some point & when that happens they usually get sacked (unless they've had the wisdom & foresight to jump ship before the hammer comes down), no matter who they are. The occurrence of the bad run is random & therefore impossible to predict.

In any event, I like to support the team (no matter which players are playing for us at any given time), which, in turn, pays homage - in a small way - to the club's history.

The fans here are no different from any other set of fans up and down the country. What do you reckon the fans of Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Leeds etc, etc..would be going on like given the circumstances of the past few year? I suppose they would be playing in front of packed out stadiums all happily clapping along would they.
The pressure from the fans has been used for as long as I can remember as a convienient excuse for under performing owners, managers and players and it's complete and utter horseshit.

I agree with the point you make about it being the same for fans of other clubs fella, I do. But when you have a chairman so heavily involved with and influenced by social media, its always going to end badly. Some of the abuse he took was embarrassing to say the least. Are these people representative of our usual match goer? I'm not sure they are. Most of these 'protestors' have probably not been to a match in years. These are the people who got Ross the sack (in my opinion)

I never once mentioned or inferred crowds and pressure being an excuse for underperforming so not really sure where you're coming from there tbh but you have a valid point... although somewhat out of context with my original post.

He is in my house
I agree with the point you make about it being the same for fans of other clubs fella, I do. But when you have a chairman so heavily involved with and influenced by social media, its always going to end badly. Some of the abuse he took was embarrassing to say the least. Are these people representative of our usual match goer? I'm not sure they are. Most of these 'protestors' have probably not been to a match in years. These are the people who got Ross the sack (in my opinion)

I never once mentioned or inferred crowds and pressure being an excuse for underperforming so not really sure where you're coming from there tbh but you have a valid point... although somewhat out of context with my original post.

Most people in the public eye receive abuse on Twitter. It appears the domain of the bully and the terminally stupid.
The fact he is so influenced by social media is a worry in itself.

Last edited:
Said exactly the same myself mate re replacement, and the current regime doesn't have a good record in that respect.
The biggest problem with that is there was better options available than Ross but SD decided to pick the worst option
No matter how bad Mcmenemy, Moyes or Gayson were there was always that slight hope we could improve, under Parkinson from day one I think everyone could see we were fucked

Moyes. From day one for me, looking and sounding shell shocked in that first interview. Parkinson is shite and is deteriorating on a daily basis but the expectation from him is no comparison with the "mastermind Moyes" who thought he was above us.

I dont give a shite what anyone else thinks - I said it at the time and I'll say it now - Ross should never have been sacked without having a better replacement lined up!

Old Stewie pandered to the baying social media crowd and pulled the trigger.... and got someone much worse. I'm afraid we might be stuck with this fella for a while.

Phil Parkinson and Boris Johnson!! What a time to be alive.
Just need Trump to get another 4 years and Mags to take off :rolleyes:

Back