Is our lifestyle worth the price we pay in ill health?

Life expectancy has risen year on year, decade on decade, century by century.

Drink is more likely to finish most of us these days
Austerity according to the report a few months ago. It showed that life expectancy went down

If they bring that charge it will cost me about £1500 a year :(
How much would it have to be before you wouldn’t pay it and you would then get the metro?

Last edited:

This.

This is the second oldest saved note in my phone. I've just had a look 4/9/13 I saved it. The oldest is "Our lives are defined by the gifts we leave our children" 3/8/13

All those newer are lists for hols, recipes and nothing but stuff useful to me at a point in time.

It's strange to read it now I'm about to fall off the earth that I really do enjoy the present
Keep enjoying the present Foggy, for as long as that may be, hopefully next Sunday you’ll have something to properly smile about.
Keep on keeping on.

Austerity according to the report a few months ago. It showed that life expectancy went down

How much would it have to be before you wouldn’t pay it and you would then get the metro?
I can't get the metro to work at 3,4 or 5 in the morning or after 2320 which are my usual start and finish times so not really relevant.

How come it's been rising when we had leaded fuel, everyone had coal fires, dirty jolly buses on the roads, loads of factory's with massive chimneys polluting the atmosphere...?

Doctors found the technology to keep people alive when really they shouldn't have.

I can't get the metro to work at 3,4 or 5 in the morning or after 2320 which are my usual start and finish times so not really relevant.

I know it sounds a bit flippant but could you not drive in so far then maybe walk the rest or even get one of those fold up bikes.

Last edited:
In about 30 years time, the place will be teeming with old people shuffling are like zombies. The slow type.
I can't see the point of living so long, (85+) if there is no quality of life. Anytime 75+ will do me.
As far as the environment slowly killing us is concerned, the local authority had me working with asbestos type materials, fibre glass type materials, all without any protection and lifting massively heavy weights. Theres always be something trying to kill you.
See if you still feel the same when you reach 74!

Doctors found the technology to keep people alive when really they shouldn't have.

I know it sounds a bit flippant but could you not drive in so far then maybe walk the rest or even get one of those fold up bikes.
No.

Finding somewhere to park then walking 2 or 3 mile is not something i want to be doing at half 2, 3 o clock in the morning mate.

That's fair enough marra. You'll just have to take the cost on the chin. I used to start work at 5.30 and haven't owned a car for 15 years so I either cycled, ran or walked the 2 miles in. Loved it in the summer.

I don't believe the world should be as it is today its completely unsustainable and is heading for disaster. That's all folks.

That's fair enough marra. You'll just have to take the cost on the chin. I used to start work at 5.30 and haven't owned a car for 15 years so I either cycled, ran or walked the 2 miles in. Loved it in the summer.
Permit parking will end up all over Gateshead if this comes in i expect which is fair enough. I would get metro every day if i could as Seaburn station just up road from me but apart from 1 or 2 shifts it's no good and will never change. 12.50 is too much for up here, I'm sure they never think these thing through. I work in public transport but haven't access to any to get to or from work most days.

Permit parking will end up all over Gateshead if this comes in i expect which is fair enough. I would get metro every day if i could as Seaburn station just up road from me but apart from 1 or 2 shifts it's no good and will never change. 12.50 is too much for up here, I'm sure they never think these thing through. I work in public transport but haven't access to any to get to or from work most days.

My employer is the same. Shifts that end after public transport stops and ones that start before it begins. As I said earlier it's mainly a fund raising exercise which comes with the best possible excuse for implementing it.

I see your point. It'll all depend on what condition i'm in, physically through dodgy knees cycling, or mentally following SAFC.
I may want to go. Some people do get fedup with life. Everything is just ticketyboo just now mind.
I know what you mean. I'm 71 so probably a bit closer to your cut-off point than you and there are days I wonder if it's worth getting up and the bones creak and the world's a shitty place but then other times it's nice weather and I'm sitting in my large back garden surrounded by trees enjoying a beer and throwing a ball for my lunatic dog and I think 'life's good'. On balance, I think I'll stick around a while longer.

I know what you mean. I'm 71 so probably a bit closer to your cut-off point than you and there are days I wonder if it's worth getting up and the bones creak and the world's a shitty place but then other times it's nice weather and I'm sitting in my large back garden surrounded by trees enjoying a beer and throwing a ball for my lunatic dog and I think 'life's good'. On balance, I think I'll stick around a while longer.

Don't decide yet mate. Wait to see what happens at Wembley next week.

Back