Is it wrong to want us to lose tonight?

Yes. Genuinely think a real fan would never want us to lose. It's a complete falsehood to say it ruined our season last year. It caused just one postponed fixture and generally we played our reserves except for 2 fixtures in the whole competition.

Yes. Genuinely think a real fan would never want us to lose. It's a complete falsehood to say it ruined our season last year. It caused just one postponed fixture and generally we played our reserves except for 2 fixtures in the whole competition.
I used to think that up to the point I experienced Steve Bruce as a manager. I feel better about losing under Deano than I ever did winning under Bruce.
So I can sort of understand wanting to lose to make a leadership change at least.

I've never wanted us to lose, and I'll not be doing so tonight. That being said if we lose I'll not be gutted about it and within about 5 seconds I'll see the positive side of not having more matches to fit in (with the possibility of another expensive defeat at Wembley).

we should be looking to win every game we play supporters should want the same imo= saying it could cost us promotion etc etc is a load of bollocks

That and we ran out of gas toward the end of the season.

I definitely want us out of the FA cup as well never win it. I’m inclined to say get us out of this and concentrate on the league.

I genuinely don’t want us to lose and will try not to follow the match ( probably will fail) but honestly feel it is for the best the sooner we go out out of this pointless competition the better

There is no club benefit to going to final- we wouldn't sell out and likely a play off final ahead- we have to go out

It's not a falsehood though. The rearranged game was the Burton one where we didn't seem to be able to handle the pressure. Then, 4 days later, Coventry came up and put 5 past us.
That did for us.

That and we ran out of gas toward the end of the season.

I definitely want us out of the FA cup as well never win it. I’m inclined to say get us out of this and concentrate on the league.
This! We got just 6 points in the last 7 league games last season but we played those games in just 25 days as we played 3 more league games than most of L1 teams who only played 4, max 5. In fact we also played 2 games in the 7 days prior so 9 league games in 32 days or 10 in 35 days if you include the Final against Portsmouth (also went to ET) so 2 games a week for 5 weeks!

Aye only 1 games games was cancelled with the Cup run but with games also being called of due to International Duty it adds up end of season along with a big affect on fitness/stamina with all the extra games. It's now going to be 3 midweek games after next week and that can also mean playing catch up in the league as we're not in our true position in the league so always chasing teams above.

So no I don't think it's wrong if you're not bothered we get knocked out of this Cup if you look at the bigger picture for SAFC's future for this one season only. The fact we're still in L1 and realistically only got one chance of winning a Cup and having potentially huge investors then getting out of this League is the main priority as cups can always be won next season.

Some may think it didn't affect us getting to the Final but you only have to look at the results finishing the season after playing so many games as to how it actually did affect us.

Anyway this is Thor'd from elsewhere about Cup games

If we get to later stages, what does the manager do with the team selection? Risk better players getting booked/sentoff/injured and piss of those who played earllier rounds? What if we get knocked out by a shite team in later stages? What will that then do to confidence and how will it affect important league games after that along with fitness etc due to having to play rearranged league games midweek that were cancelled due to earlier cup fixtures?

Was areet last season but being the 2nd season in this league then it's not worth the risk of pushing hard for a Cup run in any competition. If we don't get out the league this season but get to the Semi Finals of all 3 cups will you think that's great or think that maybe the extra cup games took their toll due to injuries/bookings/fitness?

If we'd got knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy a bit earlier last season would the effect on confidence been less of an impact with regards the fixture congestion and the final run in due to having played the extra games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back