Is it time to bring back debtors prisons?

Wages stagnating and inflation continuing to go up doesn't help mind.

My parents bought their house in the late 60's and by the time they entered the 80's what they paid for it just over 10 years earlier was about a couple of months take home.

I'm about the same length of time into mine and my wages have barely moved.

Jobs were generally local in the 70s, cars were often a luxury then and now they're pretty much essential.
Even an old banger needs fuel, maintenance and insurance.

Final salary pension schemes and huge lumpers that are as rare as hens teeth now were available across many occupations 30-40 years ago. A guaranteed income for life for many back then.

It's often not credit for the sake of credit.

Your friendly online loan provider thinks so...Link

"Think of how satisfying it would be as your neighbour who is always living beyond his or her means, the one who has been living the high life driving round in flash cars – we all know them – is carted off to prison for a couple of months because he doesn't make the repayments."

Some of their other blogs are interesting as well.
I found their article "How did Apple get away with it for so long ?" an interesting read.

I look forward to the article "How did QuickLoans get away with it for so long ?".

Your friendly online loan provider thinks so...Link

"Think of how satisfying it would be as your neighbour who is always living beyond his or her means, the one who has been living the high life driving round in flash cars – we all know them – is carted off to prison for a couple of months because he doesn't make the repayments."

Some of their other blogs are interesting as well.

People who make a living from other people's debt should be the ones under scrutiny. Unscrupulous lenders are happy to make money on irresponsible lending that cripples people's finances. Often the people they target are on a never ending spiral of debt. People need to take responsibility for themselves too. Awareness of debt and the pitfalls should be compulsory in schools, that way creditors would go out of business like wonga.

I got a Provy loan before and I'll never do it again. It was only for €1000 but the interest rates made it about €1500! I missed 2 weeks repayment and you'd swear I owed millions. When I got towards the end of my loan I got letters and emails about how good my credit and repayments were and how I was entitled to a loan of up to €5000. They aren't even the worse of them. Some of are just legal money lenders.

The only debt allowed should be a mortgage. If you can't afford something, save up.

So we have to expect every young’un who wants to get started in a trade or set up their own business to have the cash lying round for tools, equipment and a van? Or their parents to be comfortable enough to help them out? One of my best mates wouldn’t have been able to set up a brewery in his mid 20s if it hadn’t been for a loan from the bank for equipment and a van to deliver beer with.

Give over man. Debt isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

What about people who think they have a steady job and for what ever reason end up unemployed, should they then be thrown in to jail because of shit circumstances

So we have to expect every young’un who wants to get started in a trade or set up their own business to have the cash lying round for tools, equipment and a van? Or their parents to be comfortable enough to help them out? One of my best mates wouldn’t have been able to set up a brewery in his mid 20s if it hadn’t been for a loan from the bank for equipment and a van to deliver beer with.

Give over man. Debt isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
The only debt allowed should be a mortgage, a van and some tools. If you can't afford something, save up.

The factors dictating how much credit someone can have should be better regulated. Ridiculous that someone unemployed on benefits or earning very little can get vast amounts of chuckie via payday type loans or the latest TV via pay weekly at 40% plus APR.

The factors dictating how much credit someone can have should be better regulated. Ridiculous that someone unemployed on benefits or earning very little can get vast amounts of chuckie via payday type loans or the latest TV via pay weekly at 40% plus APR.
I was in Ramsdens (?) a year or so ago getting my holiday money changed and saw a slip of paper on the side. Some poor fcker had borrowed £100 over a year

How desperate would you have to be ffs!

Or maybe in the 70's the average wage in the UK was £32 p/w. The average house was worth just under £5k, and a new mini was £600 (155 weeks wage and9.3 weeks) Nowadays the average wage is £475 a week, with the average house now being £140k and a mini is £10500 (294 weeks and 22 weeks).
You also didn't have poll tax etc. to worry about
Poll tax? As in council tax. Used to be called Rates. It's always been there.

Or maybe in the 70's the average wage in the UK was £32 p/w. The average house was worth just under £5k, and a new mini was £600 (155 weeks wage and9.3 weeks) Nowadays the average wage is £475 a week, with the average house now being £140k and a mini is £10500 (294 weeks and 22 weeks).
You also didn't have poll tax etc. to worry about

Come on!!!

There's a relation between house prices, interest rates & repayments. Houses were cheaper in the 70's cos interest rates were sky high.

The mini back then was a completely different car to now. You're comparing basic v luxury.

How much did a TV back then compare to now? In fact any electrical goods?

The only debt allowed should be a mortgage, a van and some tools. If you can't afford something, save up.

Debt isnt a bad thing if its manageable.
Most cant afford a brand new car outright either.

If you had you're way i'd actually be financially worse off.

Last edited:

Back