Irish sports

Knew a wealthy builder helping fund St Gabriel’s (hurling) in London years back. Loads of GAA teams Used to play at Ruislip on Sunday mornings and I went to watch a few times. Madness. Think violent Sunday league football but with still pissed Irish labourers hitting each other with sticks made of ash wood, that’s well over 30 year ago mind. Think loads went home during the Celtic tiger boom. Got took to croke park for all Ireland final. They play the minors final (under 18) before the seniors so there’s 4 sets of fans in the stadium. Great day out. I’d watch it if it was on the tv.
I think we passed that GAA ground on the way to Wealdstone before the Checkatrade final in 2019. I had the chance to go to Croke Park a few years ago when we were there for a Safc pre season tournament in Ireland on the Sunday when we first got there, but I passed it up and opted to crash at the hotel cos I was knackered. I still kick myself about that sometimes.

On a separate note, Sunderland must be the only city in the uk without an Irish pub. None that I know of anyway. Not talking about theme bars either like whatever life of Riley used to be. Paddywhacks. Can’t think of any in Newcastle either apart from the Irish centre and that was minging dirty last time I was in a few year back. Most cities have got loads.

On a separate note, Sunderland must be the only city in the uk without an Irish pub. None that I know of anyway. Not talking about theme bars either like whatever life of Riley used to be. Paddywhacks. Can’t think of any in Newcastle either apart from the Irish centre and that was minging dirty last time I was in a few year back. Most cities have got loads.
Fitzgerald’s is an Irish bar isn’t it?

Years since I’ve been out in Sunderland mind
Quality game it had everything
Class game. Fights, red cards and 4 seasons of weather all in one game.

Kerry v Mayo game now is a bit flat after watching that :lol:

Last edited:
Like the football more. Saw a couple of quarters at Croke about 7 years ago. Dublin were starting to dominate, due purely to the number of people they can call on.Third if the country live there.

Love the amateur ethos and the passion they all have for it. Pure sport, represent your county, that's it. Wish football was more like it. Athletic Bilbao the only example of anything like it.

My son and his cousin played for the Sunderland University Gaelic football team he loved it.

@Cú Chulainn
Good players, remember seeing Sunderland University playing at the UK Championships which are held in Manchester every year. Used to play in it myself.

A few of the teams in the big cities such as Manchester or Birmingham are fully home grown. I also believe the New York champions are all American born. Obviously the vast majority are of Irish descent.

Armagh Galway was fantastic today and the Kingdom won't be far away this year.

Good players, remember seeing Sunderland University playing at the UK Championships which are held in Manchester every year. Used to play in it myself.

A few of the teams in the big cities such as Manchester or Birmingham are fully home grown. I also believe the New York champions are all American born. Obviously the vast majority are of Irish descent.

Armagh Galway was fantastic today and the Kingdom won't be far away this year.
Remember a few years ago we went to New York to meet up some Irish lads we knew ,Stayed in a place called Woodlawn in the Bronx,everyone and everything was Irish or of Irish decent around Woodlawn and Yonkers,the people,the pubs,the shops and I am sure New York GAA played there home games around that area

Remember a few years ago we went to New York to meet up some Irish lads we knew ,Stayed in a place called Woodlawn in the Bronx,everyone and everything was Irish or of Irish decent around Woodlawn and Yonkers,the people,the pubs,the shops and I am sure New York GAA played there home games around that area
That's right. They play at Gaelic Park in The Bronx. New York hosted the All Ireland football final once in 1947 when Cavan defeated Kerry

There used to be one at the Mowbray hotel but can't for the life of me remember it's name. Wasn't around that long mind.
The Museum Vaults was unofficially a good few years back. That's where my missus and all her mates from Sunderland Uni went.

As for the GAA sports. Not so much into the football but enjoy the Hurling. Father in law is a Clare man and played for and managed the local team. It's a huge part of life there. Everyone is in to it.

Yes but just because I grew up in an Irish family

Sky sports show the GAA now.

Gaelic football and hurling are great spectator sports and the dedication to their sport is mental given it’s an amateur game.

Currently watching the Armagh v Galway quarter final. Been a cracking game
That was a fantastic match.

I watch it, take quite a keen interest in both sports, able to watch all the big games on Sky Sports and Premier Sports. Been to Croke Park for all all Ireland semi final to see Kerry. Went to Semple Stadium in around 2005 to see Kilkenny play hurling.

Don’t have an Irish bone in my body. Started watching it during frequent trips to Ireland in the summer. Sitting in pubs, live - and very exciting - sport on tv. Almost inevitable it would catch my attention to some extent.

There used to be one at the Mowbray hotel but can't for the life of me remember it's name. Wasn't around that long mind.
The Museum Vaults was unofficially a good few years back. That's where my missus and all her mates from Sunderland Uni went.

As for the GAA sports. Not so much into the football but enjoy the Hurling. Father in law is a Clare man and played for and managed the local team. It's a huge part of life there. Everyone is in to it.

Durty Nellys was at the Mowbray Park hotel site and Rosie Malones was where Yeates is now.

Both cracking pubs but my favourite was TJ Doyles.

Still loads of Irish students in Sunderland studying Medicine Nursing Pharmacy Journalism Business Studies etc.

Some of them drink and work in the Saltgrass.

Durty Nellys was at the Mowbray Park hotel site and Rosie Malones was where Yeates is now.

Both cracking pubs but my favourite was TJ Doyles.

Still loads of Irish students in Sunderland studying Medicine Nursing Pharmacy Journalism Business Studies etc.

Some of them drink and work in the Saltgrass.
TJ's was a great spot. Many a good morning, afternoon, evening and night in there.

Hurling semi finals this weekend. Limerick seem a good bit ahead of the rest so I expect they'll have too much for Galway. Clare Kilkenny should be close but I'd slightly lean towards Clare.

TJ's was a great spot. Many a good morning, afternoon, evening and night in there.

Hurling semi finals this weekend. Limerick seem a good bit ahead of the rest so I expect they'll have too much for Galway. Clare Kilkenny should be close but I'd slightly lean towards Clare.

You got a visit to the SOL planned?

Back