iPhone vs Android platforms

Its a phone marra, dont think too much about it, its not going to change your life

I always give the same answer to this. Ask yourself which ecosystem your in.

If you have an iPhone, MacBook, iPad, Apple Watch, HomePod ect. changing the iPhone to an android will limit all those other devices. Also think about the people you message the most, do they all have iPhones and you therefore use iMessage. Changing will lose that. There are plenty of other options but it means your forcing people you know to use them too.

If you have a android tablet, android tv ect then an android phone makes the most sense.

Phones are usually the central hub of people’s tech these days, changing between the iOS and Android is usually thought of as which is the better phone, but it’s actually much more than that.

Also remember the next iPhone will be due out in about a month.

My phone is Samsung but Apple for laptop and tablet and I don't have any problems with two different platforms. I have more of a problem with the fact that none of the software/drive/platform providers can work together because they're too busy fighting. Hence having to use Pages and Word, and Google Drive and One Drive to collaborate with other people on documents

considering a change for my upgrade from iPhone to android/Samsung. Just wondered if anyone went from iPhone to the other and their experiences?i.e. easy to get used to? Better? Worse?

Looking at one of those Huewai p20 phones or a Samsung (or any other suggestions?) as just fancy a change and when speaking to a mate he reckons the androids are well ahead of the iPhones for platforms,speed,technology etc etc
People who go from iphone to android and vice versa usualy regret it. People dont like change and get used to their operating systems. Iv had android since it came out and love it. Had a mess on with the bairns iphone and hate the thing.

How quickly do OnePlus handsets get the latest OS releases?

Biggest issue for me with Samsung is how long they take to get the latest OS, Google need to force manufacturers to update handsets (where the hardware can take it)

My phone is Samsung but Apple for laptop and tablet and I don't have any problems with two different platforms. I have more of a problem with the fact that none of the software/drive/platform providers can work together because they're too busy fighting. Hence having to use Pages and Word, and Google Drive and One Drive to collaborate with other people on documents

That means your missing out on photos you take on your phone, messages you send/receive, apps you download and their associated date not automatically syncing to your ipad/macbook from your phone. Nothing wont work, it's just functionality you cant use. I regularly text people from my macbook, or if my phone is ringing upstairs when I'm sitting on my laptop downstairs I can answer the call from the laptop.

I avoid using pages, but I do have onedrive, googledrive, dropbox and icloud which agree is rather annoying.

That means your missing out on photos you take on your phone, messages you send/receive, apps you download and their associated date not automatically syncing to your ipad/macbook from your phone. Nothing wont work, it's just functionality you cant use. I regularly text people from my macbook, or if my phone is ringing upstairs when I'm sitting on my laptop downstairs I can answer the call from the laptop.

I avoid using pages, but I do have onedrive, googledrive, dropbox and icloud which agree is rather annoying.

The extra work around my phone not being seamless with my other devices is acceptable to me until such time as going fully Apple isn't so much like joining the Church of Scientology

I’ve always had iPhones and think they’re nice and simple.

Got my upgrade coming up soon and I was thinking of a switch as well, guarantee I’ll hate it though. Just what you’re used to I suppose.

I've been in an apple shop with the bairn a couple of times. It's like a Christian Cult full of cults. Is it still called the genius bar? (or something like that, it made me laugh)

If you like the Apple eco system, it seems daft to switch for the similarly priced Samsung product.

These days, I'd say the mid-range Android phones are the best bet - you save about half the money, and get almost everything anyway.

As others have said, OnePlus is a good place to look, but I think they've got a bit pricey now, and I jumped to an Honor 9 recently for £230, and its ace.

End of the day it's a phone but you are limited with Apple to just iPhone. Android gives you a vast amount of phones and something you can customise to suit your needs. Try looking at different brands eg OnePlus/ Huawei/ I traded my galaxy s8 for the Huawei p20 pro and I'm over the moon with it. The only phone ATM that I think I would upgrade to is the new Galaxy Note. And with android you can watch movies/sport without doing a dam thing to it. Just my opinion but android is king and even Huawei have surpassed apple is sales

considering a change for my upgrade from iPhone to android/Samsung. Just wondered if anyone went from iPhone to the other and their experiences?i.e. easy to get used to? Better? Worse?

Looking at one of those Huewai p20 phones or a Samsung (or any other suggestions?) as just fancy a change and when speaking to a mate he reckons the androids are well ahead of the iPhones for platforms,speed,technology etc etc

Went from Iphone to Samsung. Started with the s7 edge and loved it, now on the s9 plus. Will never go back to Iphone. Shite in comparison.

Went from Android to iPhone a few years ago then back to Android with my last phone and regretted it. Just flogged the Samsung S7 and am using the iPhone 6 til my contract runs out which is the phone I had in the first place.

Can guarantee most people will say Android in this thread to be different but I think they're utter shit. The battery was pathetic on the S7 too even from new and the phone was laggy as fuck.
I’m upgrading this weekend. Im considering moving from iPhone to android.
I love the iPhone but I’m just sick of the restrictions. Stuff like I have a smart tv and can’t do the screen switch with an iPhone. I have an Android for work and I can use excel and stuff easily on it.

Why did you go back to Apple?

Apple Wankers and Android wankers will be all over this man :lol:

The best advice I'll give you is pick the one you like the best. Both have Pro's and Cons. For example the Apple Store is better than the Google store and Apps are more polished due to more stringent guidelines. iPhones tend to have the worst connectivity when using it as a phone, especially when on the move and you switch cells.

Don't read or compare the specs, they tend to be pretty irrelevant.
Pretty much what he said. Go with the one that you like.

I love the iPhone but I’m just sick of the restrictions. Stuff like I have a smart tv and can’t do the screen switch with an iPhone. I have an Android for work and I can use excel and stuff easily on it.

I use Excel on my iPhone, just install Office 365 apps

Last edited:

I thought the same as you but in reality I found the whole 'restrictions' thing didn't really stand up. There wasn't anything on Android that I couldn't do on iPhone but lots of things little things that I could do on iPhone but not on Android. For example, when I plug an iPhone into the car via USB it automatically plays my music and I can select songs via the console on the dashboard, but you can do that with Android, to play music you have to use Bluetooth, select the songs before you set off etc and it'll use whatever volume your phone is set at. So if you watched a daft video on Facebook with the sound off/low it'll play your music at the volume, which is far more of a pain in the arse than it sounds :lol: Excel works exactly the same on both too

I've always had Android up to a few years ago so it's not that I wasn't used to it, I just found it really clunky going back. Could be because of the handset though, considering the S7 had only been out about 6 months when I got it it was slow and laggy, froze all the time and the battery life was atrocious. I'm using the wife's old iPhone now which is 4 years old and still faster / more responsive and the battery life pisses all over it.

At the end of the day though, people like what they like - some prefer one, some prefer the other. Makes me laugh when people get so passionate about which brand of overpriced phone is the best :lol:

Google Pixel is what i have at the moment, never had an iphone, but when i worked for EE, had use of the plenty times, just not my cup of tea. They're all much the same but i really do rate the pixel, only issue i have at the moment is due to an app rather than the phone itself, due an upgrade in a couple months and will get the pixel 2

I've had the OnePlus 3T, 5T and currently have the 256gb version of the 6. Never had a problem with any of them.

How quickly do OnePlus handsets get the latest OS releases?

Biggest issue for me with Samsung is how long they take to get the latest OS, Google need to force manufacturers to update handsets (where the hardware can take it)

Much quicker than Samsung.

Back