iPad obsolescence

Officially 5-7 years old is classed as Vintage by Apple. Anything more than 7 and its classed as Obsolete.

It makes no difference as Apple's official policy is that they will not service, repair or upgrade Vintage or Obsolete equipment.

Basically, if you want your Apple kit to run their newest software you have to buy a new machine every 5 years.

Point in case: Apple owner does as asked and upgrades to latest version of iTunes on their iMac which cost £1500 5 years ago. iTunes will not work. Apple will not allow upgraded software to be reverse graded. Apple inform customer that they need the latest version of OS to run iTunes but thats okay because you can download it free. iMac will not download OS as hardware is considered Vintage and therefore will not support latest OS. Solution: buy a new iMac for another £1500.

Strange. I have a 2009 Intel iMac which is running High Sierra comfortably and the current version of iTunes. When I bought it it had Snow Leopard on it and it has been operating fine through each of the operating system updates. Only thing I’ve changed is upgrading it to 16gb RAM and the hard drive was replaced (free of charge) after Seagate initiated a recall.

Back