iPad obsolescence

Dave Herbal

Striker
The bairn has given me his iPad to get the screen fixed, but he says it won’t update to run new apps as it’s too old. I’ve never used it so i don’t know what it is. I think it’s a mini and about 5 years old. Is it worth repairing then, or will it be stuck on an old iOS like the iPhone 4 is?

The bairn has given me his iPad to get the screen fixed, but he says it won’t update to run new apps as it’s too old. I’ve never used it so i don’t know what it is. I think it’s a mini and about 5 years old. Is it worth repairing then, or will it be stuck on an old iOS like the iPhone 4 is?

Have an old one that was going to give to the little fella and had this exact same problem.

There should be a code on the back. If who google what version on mini, you will find something that will tell you. If it is a first gen mini then it is probably stuck on 9. Mine still makes a canny e-reader and I was thinking of mounting it in the kitchen as a recipe book thing.

Officially 5-7 years old is classed as Vintage by Apple. Anything more than 7 and its classed as Obsolete.

It makes no difference as Apple's official policy is that they will not service, repair or upgrade Vintage or Obsolete equipment.

Basically, if you want your Apple kit to run their newest software you have to buy a new machine every 5 years.

Point in case: Apple owner does as asked and upgrades to latest version of iTunes on their iMac which cost £1500 5 years ago. iTunes will not work. Apple will not allow upgraded software to be reverse graded. Apple inform customer that they need the latest version of OS to run iTunes but thats okay because you can download it free. iMac will not download OS as hardware is considered Vintage and therefore will not support latest OS. Solution: buy a new iMac for another £1500.

Hey.... but it looks cool!

Updated the works iPad to iOS 11 or whatever the new one is the other day and now it runs like a bag of shite.

So don't do that.

There is code in the iOS that will slow the machines down dependent on it's age because of battery conservation.

They will release an update later this year so that option can be disabled.

Want pics of this mind! :eek: You got a bank of kegarators? :lol:
Only a small thing but I’ll hoy pics as it’s going.

The shed is good, log burner, sofas, flat screen TV etc. with addition of a great looking bar made from industrial timber/pipe/corrugated metal etc.

Never been invited round yet mind.

He only lives two minutes from Wilf as well.
I seen the bar he’s got, class piece of kit. You can come round mine when it’s done mate.

Back