Investing for Beginners

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
I've got a few quid sat in an investment app (Charles Stanley) but don't know which is the best source of advice on investing.

A few years ago I was in the same position, picked a few random funds and got lucky with the returns but don't want to do the same again.

All I know is that I prefer funds over specific shares. Where do other people go for advice on which ones to go for?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

I go 80/20 blue chip/AIM.

Had a few fallers with Aim, but doing well with SXX and CPX has made up for them.

Unilever, shell, and various banks make up the bulk of the portfolio.

Read up on passive investment, that may help you rule out a lot of funds. Also, are you using an ISA for this? That + fees are probably you're biggest worries. Are these long or short term investments? How old are you? Do you have other investments (pension) + cash + assets. That will all determine what you should be looking.

For minimal hassle tracker funds, or if you are happy to pay a bit more in fees Hargreaves Landsdown do ready made portfolio recommendations (based on the level of risk you are willing to take) as well as their own funds of funds.

For minimum low risk and decent returns pre and post Brexit I’d be looking at blow.

My mate bought shares in one of the suppliers to the Canadian government and has done canny out of it.

I saw the guy who owns Corona has just made a big investmenti into one also.

Read up on passive investment, that may help you rule out a lot of funds. Also, are you using an ISA for this? That + fees are probably you're biggest worries. Are these long or short term investments? How old are you? Do you have other investments (pension) + cash + assets. That will all determine what you should be looking.

I'm using ISA and a bit of non-ISA mate (but I'll be under the annual thresholds for CGT and distributions anyway).

Don't mind a bit of risk as I'm spread between this and savings anyway.

My confusion is around wading my way through the vast list of funds on offer...

The Canadian government uses blow? Wow

Ha ha. Dunno why I interpreted your blow as weed! It'll be next mind!

I'm using ISA and a bit of non-ISA mate (but I'll be under the annual thresholds for CGT and distributions anyway).

Don't mind a bit of risk as I'm spread between this and savings anyway.

My confusion is around wading my way through the vast list of funds on offer...

Well, I've gone down the passive route. Had a split of funds based on reading on monevator.com. I simplified recently and bought Vanguard Lifestrategy funds. Recently moved direct to their platform for cheaper fees. Pick your required equity ratio based on your attitude to risk and time to leave invested.

Last edited:
I've got a few quid sat in an investment app (Charles Stanley) but don't know which is the best source of advice on investing.

A few years ago I was in the same position, picked a few random funds and got lucky with the returns but don't want to do the same again.

All I know is that I prefer funds over specific shares. Where do other people go for advice on which ones to go for?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
I know a Nigerian prince who’s in a bit bother he only needs £30k for a £1m return.
Pm me your bank details and I will look after you monies

Seriously mate buy a flat or cottage. If it’s not that much buy a future classic car. Loads more fun.

Back