Internet Speed Checks - Getting What You Pay For?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minimum or up to?
Supposed to be minimum. Whatever we do get works for us (Kodi/kids gaming/dodgy sky tv) so it's not a problem. Service is spot on if/when we need to use it (apart from having to unplug 'everything' when they need to visit:lol:)

Normal sky broadband. 16mbs. It does a job but when fibre is available in going to seize it like the vikings seized lindisfarne plunder

You're not paying for 40mb though, that's where these bastards get you. You're paying for 'up to' 40mb. With distance from exchange and shit contention that can be anything.

You're not paying for 40mb though, that's where these bastards get you. You're paying for 'up to' 40mb. With distance from exchange and shit contention that can be anything.
I'll check but they backed down, Sent me an engineer along with a threat that if it was faulty wiring my end I'd be charged £129 quid or summit... as its quite a new property I took the 'Gamble"!

I've just downgraded from virgin 200meg to 100meg saving some money. Was only getting just over 100meg on 200meg. Now getting bang on 100meg on last test. I still probably don't need 100meg but virgin have been very reliable and just future proofing really.

Sky said we'd only get 19MB max as I live a long distance away from the exchange. Usually get around 30MB though, so I can't really complain!

The speeds did go poor once, down to 2-3MB which turned out to be a broken switch at the exchange. They gave me a credit on the bill to cover the inconvenience while it was slow.

A lot of the speed degradation can be your router.

I had a Draytek that was packed with loss of features but it was really poor at keeping the rate up. Switched it for a Billion router and it flys now in comparison with the draytek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back