Internet Annoyances

Yeah, of course. But also of course, when I was speaking earlier, I was clearly talking about their other use. I understand when people say "what have you got to worry about", but imo, privacy is a right and we should never lightly give up any of our rights.

As a user I want maximum privacy. As a website operator I want to know a bit about people that are visiting, so obviously I am torn!

We have 2 main issues on RTG. I want to be able to track bad users and spammers so I can stop them signing up again after banning them. The new legislation effectively prevents this.

Secondly, not many businesses want to advertise on a footy forum, but actually quite a lot of advertisers want to directly target the people who visit here if they know something about them.

Advertising revenue has been hit badly as they no longer know enough to target you. Facebook and Google are the big winners here as you generally have to logon to their sites/systems, they know all about you (and your friends) and sell their own advertising directly.

Last edited:

you are paranoid, cookies are harmless.
Just an example of what happened 2 secs ago - its not the end of the world, but I think it demonstrates a point.

Went to log into a website for the 2nd time - so my details aren't cached on my password vault yet. And below the login boxes, there's a "Or just log in with Facebook, Peter", with my picture on it.

So facebook and this site are linked, and sharing data. Even though I haven't given this site any details about me yet. This is a brand new (works) laptop and I'd never logged onto the site before using this laptop.

If a simple website is doing it, what else is being tracked?

Just an example of what happened 2 secs ago - its not the end of the world, but I think it demonstrates a point.

Went to log into a website for the 2nd time - so my details aren't cached on my password vault yet. And below the login boxes, there's a "Or just log in with Facebook, Peter", with my picture on it.

So facebook and this site are linked, and sharing data. Even though I haven't given this site any details about me yet. This is a brand new (works) laptop and I'd never logged onto the site before using this laptop.

If a simple website is doing it, what else is being tracked?
No, that's not correct at all.

You will have visited Facebook using this browser and therefore you use of Facebook is cached. The site then uses the 'Business to Consumer' model to offer federated logins (e.g. facebook, twitter, google etc). These federated logins use oAuth or OpenId to allow you to use one of the federated logins to access the website.

No data has been passed from Facebook to the website until you login using your Facebook Id and explicitly allow Facebook to share that data by clicking on 'accept' during this process.

It appears that the website knows who you are when in reality the website simply uses a Facebook login component and it's that Facebook component who knows who you are.

Imagine if I said you can come to my party if you have an SAFC season ticket and then I get SAFC to check them on the door. I don't know who you are or if you have a ticket, but I trust SAFC do and have checked.

Last edited:
No, that's not correct at all.

You will have visited Facebook using this browser and therefore you use of Facebook is cached. The site then uses the 'Business to Consumer' model to offer federated logins (e.g. facebook, twitter, google etc). These federated logins use oAuth or OpenId to allow you to use one of the federated logins to access the website.

No data has been passed from Facebook to the website until you login using your Facebook Id and explicitly allow Facebook to share that data by clicking on 'accept' during this process.

It appears that the website knows who you are when in reality the website simply uses a Facebook login component and it's that Facebook component who knows who you are.

Imagine if I said you can come to my party if you have an SAFC season ticket and then I get SAFC to check them on the door. I don't know who you are or if you have a ticket, but I trust SAFC do and have checked.
My use of facebook is cached - and then this 3rd party website can access that cache from an entirely different website (without asking me) - my facebook username and profile photo (and god knows what else) - and present it on my screen - that's exactly the problem!

And also, once people click that very convenient picture of your own face, and then "ok" a couple of warnings they don't read, then yep, you do have full sharing.

My use of facebook is cached - and then this 3rd party website can access that cache from an entirely different website (without asking me) - my facebook username and profile photo (and god knows what else) - and present it on my screen - that's exactly the problem!

And also, once people click that very convenient picture of your own face, and then "ok" a couple of warnings they don't read, then yep, you do have full sharing.
No, the 3rd party website cannot access that cache. It's simply showing a Facebook component. Just the same way I can paste a youtube video in this forum. It doesn't mean youtube has access to the forum to grab data that isn't public.

Facebook is extremely secure and it's not possible to create a website to steal data from Facebook unless the user consents.

If you don't read the 'Do you want to share X with this website' - that's nothing to do with cookies or companies, it's down to the user. If someone came up to and asked you to sign a bit of paper, would you?

Here's a new one I came across today: Your password must not contain a word in a dictionary. I mean ffs man

Tick the box to say you aren't a robot

Tick every box that contains a shop/car/crossing/traffic light.....every......single......time. šŸ˜µ

All of which is used as part of Google AI knowledge building so they can improved the recognition features for their automated cars. Collectively we are doing a lot of work for them.

Back