Internal Garage Conversion

Casper

Midfield
Hoping to exchange contracts on a house in Sunderland in coming months.

We want to convert the internal garage into another room by bricking the door up and putting a window in.

Anyone know rough costs for this?
Do we need planning or building regs?
Any decent firms locally?

Surely if you are buying the house and planning to do this then you have a good idea what its going to cost you or you would be looking to buy a bigger house

Surely if you are buying the house and planning to do this then you have a good idea what its going to cost you or you would be looking to buy a bigger house
We maxxed out our budget to get the area we wanted so need to get creative with the space we have. So just looking to see if it is possible budget wise based upon other people's experience.

Need to make it so that it would be easy to convert back into a garage if you sell. Not many people want a granny flat and would prefer the option of a garage (or if you're like us, a room to store your junk).

Posted about this before. It seems to be quite a popular thing now, but when I bought mine it was a stipulation that it hadn't been done and it had a proper garage. Like it or not everyone has stuff they don't want in their house, paint, lawn mower, tools, kids stuff ect. So people take away they place they put all that for a second living area/ entertaining space that rarely gets used. Obviously I don't know your situation but don't think of it as something everyone wants if you ever want to move on.

Posted about this before. It seems to be quite a popular thing now, but when I bought mine it was a stipulation that it hadn't been done and it had a proper garage. Like it or not everyone has stuff they don't want in their house, paint, lawn mower, tools, kids stuff ect. So people take away they place they put all that for a second living area/ entertaining space that rarely gets used. Obviously I don't know your situation but don't think of it as something everyone wants if you ever want to move on.

I'd much rather have another room than a dumping ground that you don't even put the car in.
Speak for yourself not everyone. ;)

I'd much rather have another room than a dumping ground that you don't even put the car in.
Speak for yourself not everyone. ;)

It's not always a dumping ground if you look after it, but it doesn't stop the fact people need storage. I am not speaking for everyone, but I am saying not everyone wants the extra room.

Back