Interesting photographs

vinegar hill

Striker
Not so much an interesting pic as an interesting JPG. Ages ago I went to Durham New College to an Antiques & Collectors Fair and for £25 bought this. This is for all the awld' codgers on here.

This may be a better one.

That takes me back when we used to write to the club and ask if they could send an autographed sheet back.
I’m talking about the Charlie Hurley, George Herd generation mind not those lads!!

1000's of trees still in Spirit Lake after the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption!

It's here on Google Maps, zoom out and Mount St. Helens is to the South (1st pic is from Google Maps). It moves above but it's 4 kilometers in length and 1.25km at it's widest on Google Maps

Google Maps LINK

More pics here with info - Lake Spirit's Gigantic Tree Trunk Mat | Amusing Planet

An estimated 1 million trees were blown away from the surrounding hillside by a super-heated wall of volcanic gas and searing ash and rock, and these along with other rubble were deposited on Spirit Lake. The debris avalanche temporarily displaced much of the lake from its bed sending 600-foot-high waves crashing into a ridge north of the lake. As the water moved back into its basin, it pulled with it thousands of more trees into the lake. About 350,000 acre-feet of pyrolized trees were deposited into Spirit Lake and these shattered trees formed a floating log raft on the lake surface that is present to this day, more than three decades after the event.

Last edited: