Interesting facts about the lads

The most pathetic penalty attempt ever by a Sunderland player was one taken by Jeff Whitley.
I dunno mate. Malbranque’s was dire
.. What was the record before the Premier League started? If it was better then in reality we only have the record since 1992 ..
Poss Le Tissier or that Ray Stewart at West Ham. Phil Neal also potted a good few when Liverpool were getting pens every other week.

Last edited:
Sunderland are the only team in England to have a won a major trophy during the reigns of each monarch that has been on the throne since organised football began - League champions three times during Victoria's reign, League champions again whilst Edward VII was monarch, Champions again in 1913 when George V was on the throne, another Championship during Edward VII's brief reign, FA Cup winners during George VI's time on the throne, and then of course, FA Cup winners in 1973 (Elizabeth II).

Sunderland have broken the world transfer fee record more times (4) than Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona.

Sunderland are still most recent Champions of England to wear stripes (1936).

I remember is missing 2 pens in one game at roker. Maybe bracewell and ball took them? Don't remember us doing that more than once.

I seem to remember Len Shackleton passing a penalty forward so Trevor Ford could run in and score. I know he could spin the ball backwards too.
Ora meringue.

I’ve just mentioned on another thread and no one commented. We have the record for most penalties scored consecutively in the premier league. From when Larsson missed aginst wolves right before O’Neil became manager I think it was 16/17 cant remember who missed if anyone one but we have the record

Any other interesting facts like this?
I believe Jon McLaughlin was the first keeper to save a home league penalty since Tony Norman... Not sure which year... Maybe 1990?

On September 1st, 1894 Sunderland beat Derby County 8-0 in a game of 'three halves'. The referee was delayed so a qualified official from the crowd refereed the first half which ended 3-0 to the lads. The referee who was due to take charge of the game arrived at Newcastle Road just on half time and offered Derby the chance to play the first half again, rendering the first half of action null and void.

It made no difference and we raced into a three goal lead before the ', 2nd' half time. We scored another five in the following half to win the game 8-0.

Apologies for this = but I still say this is the worst pen. No need/desire to show others.

Whitley pathetic pen 24.40 on this video

I've never seen that (was around the time I first moved overseas and getting access to broadcasts/feeds then was tough - think I'm quietly glad in retrospect).

What was he thinking?! The anger on Mick McCarthy's face is pretty funny, you can see him thinking 'why the f^&% didn't he just hit it! Trying to be clever! C%$t!'

For a great striker, Phillips was a pretty crap penalty taker. He missed his fair share

I used to find that with some striker of that type. Tony Cottee was another who missed loads. Much better when the ball is moving and they don't have to think. Phillips wasn't outstanding at one on ones either but if it was movement and one touch finishes he was as good as you get.

Back