Interest Rates to rise this week?

I’d expect a couple of 0.25% increases in spring/ summer. Having said that inflation looks like falling quicker than expected.

Main reason for inflation "falling" is that it's calculated on a rolling 12 month basis. The big energy price increases were in spring last year so they will soon be out of the equations.

Whts the best easy access saver out? Got some money i put away for my tax bill payment on account due in july, but sitting in zero interest account at the minute.

Main reason for inflation "falling" is that it's calculated on a rolling 12 month basis. The big energy price increases were in spring last year so they will soon be out of the equations.
Only partially true. Energy prices for consumers are only kicking in now. Across the rest of the supply chain I would say that the energy costs have been passed on right through the year, and it’s still a huge factor in price increases

Some signs of recovery showing. Variable rate mortgages may be a good option for some people as rates are expected to fall. A shorter, shallower recession is now forecast.

Prob go up yet to 4.75/5, then come back end of year start to fall back and settle maybe 3.5 next year sometime

Disclaimer alert I know nowt, anything could happen

Prob go up yet to 4.75/5, then come back end of year start to fall back and settle maybe 3.5 next year sometime

Surely if the economy has returned to growth there'd be no reason to reduce rates 1.25%+ 🤔

gap between average earnings and average house price widening makes that more and more difficult though (I think)

Yes, equally tho house prices are ludicrous and could surely do with coming down, appreciated that could create negative equity for a few. We paid our mortgage off over a decade ago, would hate to be just going into the market now. Absolutely bang average and tiny new builds around here (South Tyneside) for £300-400K.

Aye, 'falling' just means not going up as quickly.

Last edited:
Are you still twittering on about this?
There is the possibility that interest rates may rise this week.

The first in a series of rate rises could come as early as this week, with the Bank's rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) due to pronounce on Thursday.

Good news for savers not so good for them on Standard variable rates or trackers.

Markets now expect the UK's main interest rate to rise from 0.1% to 0.25% in the first instance, with further increases to follow, perhaps reaching the pre-Covid level of 0.75% by the middle of 2022.
15 months ago 0.1% 😳

Last edited:
Brilliant. Mortgage is due for renewal and it’s already expected to be an extra £100 a month. Our advisor told us to wait a couple more months in the hope of it coming down.

Strange advice. I was told to for the renewal as soon as you could. And fix it in. And if it went up you are ok. And if it went down just reapply. As market is so turbulent .

Marcus or chase

Neither of them have been competitive for a while now. Tons of better options
Whts the best easy access saver out? Got some money i put away for my tax bill payment on account due in july, but sitting in zero interest account at the minute.

The best ones are actually the cash balances in investment funds.
Vanguard pays base less a little bit, so from today you'll get about 3.6% from them.

Last edited:
Neither of them have been competitive for a while now. Tons of better options

The best ones are actually the cash balances in investment funds.
Vanguard pays base less a little bit, so from today you'll get about 3.6% from them.
Depends if you have it in an isa or not

You've been pretty much bang on with your predictions throughout this thread iirc mate.

Back