Interest Rate Cut coming

Atleast 10% residential, more for commercial I think ...I have set aside a little to see what commercial becomes available.

Gold is at a decent level so might be tempted to release a bit and buy back when it drops after the lock down is a distant memory.
We have been thinking of buying an office instead of renting, preferably somewhere in Durham, do you think commercial office space prices will drop that much within a year?

We have been thinking of buying an office instead of renting, preferably somewhere in Durham, do you think commercial office space prices will drop that much within a year?
Depends what you need office space for and type of business . As poster above said a lot of companies will have a serious rethink on working practices. For some an office space is a must.
I think it will be a buyers market for a considerable time. Durham was suffering anyway prior to the virus as the rent/rates are way too high.
If you don't mind me asking what is it you do that requires office space.

This current Corona situation will result in many companies re-evaluating the number of employees it actually needs to run their businesses and the requirements of premises they require. I don't think it's had time to sink in yet or permeate down to the man in the street but we've had a stop/reset moment like never before. We're all going to have to get used to a new normal cos things aren't going back to the way they were. Never.

Depends what you need office space for and type of business . As poster above said a lot of companies will have a serious rethink on working practices. For some an office space is a must.
I think it will be a buyers market for a considerable time. Durham was suffering anyway prior to the virus as the rent/rates are way too high.
If you don't mind me asking what is it you do that requires office space.
Engineering design, 15 people and were recruiting for more prior to all of this carry on. We definitely need office space, based in Belmont at the minute which is a great location and no issues with parking, but renting upper floor of a 2 floor office block and it feels like dead money.
One of directors is stepping down and I’m stepping up, so it might be a good time to own our own space if prices dip.

This current Corona situation will result in many companies re-evaluating the number of employees it actually needs to run their businesses and the requirements of premises they require. I don't think it's had time to sink in yet or permeate down to the man in the street but we've had a stop/reset moment like never before. We're all going to have to get used to a new normal cos things aren't going back to the way they were. Never.
My employers own or rent loads of buildings in Nottingham city centre.

I would think that an alternative use of office space is conversion into student accommodation or apartments.

As a novice I get the trade in gilts and yield to redemption etc but how do you get into it from the start when I guess they are issued by the treasury ?
Or is that a daft question
You'd have to be seriously wealthy to want in right now.

Why . Surely it’s just another form of fixed term savings ?
Is there a minimum buy in
Just can not imagine anyone who isn't wealthy wanting to tie their money up for that long at that rate of interest.

Base Points. 0.30 in decimal talk.
If you weren't wealthy you'd just max out Goldman Sachs, or at least put £85k in several different banks offering higher savings rates.

Last edited:
Just can not imagine anyone who isn't wealthy wanting to tie their money up for that long at that rate of interest.

Base Points. 0.30 in decimal talk.
If you weren't wealthy you'd just max out Goldman Sachs, or at least put £85k in several different banks offering higher savings rates.
The return doesnt seem fantastic for as you say locking it away for that long. Unless I'm missing the point.

Back