Intercity 125's

The funny thing when they were introduced was that every time they pulled in to stop at a station you got this strong smell of sweaty feet throughout the train. BR engineers found that the smell was produced by the brakes and that the intake for the air conditioning was close to the brakes. So they had to fit a tripper which paused the air intake when the brakes were applied and that solved the problem.

The noise of the engines thumping through Durham tation was incredible.

We've a junction next to my house so hear the big powerful diesel units throbbing away early morning. I love it. Find it comforting.
I like the sound of them too. I used to go out with a lass who lived near the Chinese under the viaduct in Durham. Used to love lying in bed listening to the trains tumbling through late at night.

I like the sound of them too. I used to go out with a lass who lived near the Chinese under the viaduct in Durham. Used to love lying in bed listening to the trains tumbling through late at night.
I've lived here since August last year and the noise of the trains is just so therapeutic. It's not loud. Its weird because wifes family lives next to a line in France and its all electric. You hear the rail noises but not the engine noises

Back