Interactive Map: How the North East will be affected by sea level rises

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

It solves the Horden and Easington Colliery problems completely, but leaves Peterlee virtually unscathed. Once we have a sea coast perhaps Durham council might consider us worthy of investment.

I might consider moving a bit closer to the A19 and away from the dene area just in case they have underestimated the rise a little. As it is I will be able to roll out of bed and be on the beach. Handy for the dog like.

Horden is barely touched according to that. The Dene will be partially submerged between Horden and Blackhall but the beach banks will protect us Hordeners :cool:

Peterlee is miles above sea level though. Its one big bank all the way down to Horden. Mind, the sea would have to rise a canny whack to get over the beach banks to start with.

You are forgetting about the dene inlets all along the coast. The sea will follow their route eroding the sides of the valleys gradually widening them to create a delta and then undercut any central land left standing.

Thirty metres is about 100 feet higher than it currently stands. Imagine how the beach banks would look under an onslaught in the middle of a winter storm.

You are forgetting about the dene inlets all along the coast. The sea will follow their route eroding the sides of the valleys gradually widening them to create a delta and then undercut any central land left standing.

Thirty metres is about 100 feet higher than it currently stands. Imagine how the beach banks would look under an onslaught in the middle of a winter storm.
I recon the middle of Peterlee is 100m above sea level. Water won't flow THAT far up if the sea rises by 30m

Excuse the Chronic, but they embedded into the story a useful interactive zoom map that shows how the world will change through long term sea level changes caused by global warming.

For Sunderland, it predicts we will completely lose Roker, Seaburn and Hendon but everywhere else will be okay. Whitburn will become an island.
Gerrin that’s my house going up in value, I’ll be right on the coast 👍

I recon the middle of Peterlee is 100m above sea level. Water won't flow THAT far up if the sea rises by 30m

I never said it would. But I live very close to the dene where the water WILL go so I want to move closer to the A19. Now either people are being deliberately hard of reading today or there is some sort of thick bug going round.

I never said it would. But I live very close to the dene where the water WILL go so I want to move closer to the A19. Now either people are being deliberately hard of reading today or there is some sort of thick bug going round.
You said:
"You are forgetting about the dene inlets all along the coast. The sea will follow their route eroding the sides of the valleys gradually widening them to create a delta and then undercut any central land left standing. "

I don't think that water would affect Peterlee, at all. Even if it did, it would be the little streams that run through the Dene - aka a massive forest - those streams flip between being about ankle deep to bone dry - and the water comes from UPSTREAM, not the sea!!!
Ok, you'd get a small tidel backwash, but these streams are at the bottom of massive valleys anyway

I don't see how any houses would even see a difference.

Expect the northsiders still to be selling 'The Riveria' through their snorkles

Despite living in a seawater swamp, they will still profess that it’s the best area in Sunderland.

Even at 30m, I see the glorious prefecture that is SR3 remains high and dry. Haway the leafy suburbs of the southern perimeter.

Back