Insurance right off

Mike J

Winger
Somebody has run into my car today, it’s prob worth £4K very Passat estate 2011 with 99k on the clock.

What would the cost of repairs have to be for them to right it off? It needs a new tail gate and bumper it may need more.

My other half had a Hyundai Getz (58 plate) which she bought before we got together. First time I drove it I could tell there was something very wrong with the way it steered and it turned out to have a bent rear axle. To make matters worse she had took a mechanic along with her to go over the car and he didn't spot the damage which was glaringly obvious. Neither spotted the car had been a cat c write off on the V5.

When we decided to get rid We Buy Any Car offered £360 before the inspection which we didn't bother with. Anyway in the bad weather over winter the car slid off the road and was subject to being written off (again) and they paid out £1600 after the excess was taken off

Paid £1518 for the boys Peugeot 107,Some f***ing cow pissed as a fart crashed into the back of him and insurance company has paid out £2600

First time I’ve heard of someone getting more.

Don’t you have like three Porsche’s and a Ferrari and your lad was knocking about in the same car as me?

I’d be f***ing gutted if I was him mate :lol:

Don’t you have like three Porsche’s and a Ferrari and your lad was knocking about in the same car as me?

I’d be f***ing gutted if I was him mate :lol:
He’s lucky I bought him that fucker :lol:

So the car has been repaired rather than being written off, turned up to get it today, one dent not fixed, number plate flapping about, trim under the boot hanging down and boot clip / lock still knackered. Garage totally uninterested.

I’ve spoken to my insurance company and they are sending an engineer out to take a look, also asked me to find a garage I’d be happy with to repair it, so that’s all good.

However when I drive it, there is a lot of road noise coming from the back of the car that didn’t use to be there before, it also doesn’t drive the same, the back end feels twitchy but also harder going over bumps etc. The garage refused to tell me what work they had carried out, but where do I stand?

So the car has been repaired rather than being written off, turned up to get it today, one dent not fixed, number plate flapping about, trim under the boot hanging down and boot clip / lock still knackered. Garage totally uninterested.

I’ve spoken to my insurance company and they are sending an engineer out to take a look, also asked me to find a garage I’d be happy with to repair it, so that’s all good.

However when I drive it, there is a lot of road noise coming from the back of the car that didn’t use to be there before, it also doesn’t drive the same, the back end feels twitchy but also harder going over bumps etc. The garage refused to tell me what work they had carried out, but where do I stand?
If it’s someone else’s insurance paying then take it to a VW dealership to get it sorted.

If it’s someone else’s insurance paying then take it to a VW dealership to get it sorted.

That’s what I’m going to do, the boot clip / lock and the trim are tiny repairs, the original garage but some double sided sticky tap on the number plate when I pointed it out. I suspect they will say the dent that is still there wasn’t caused by the other car and was pre existing - I honestly don’t know either way but was out of the way of the other damage, but I’m usually pretty good at spotting damage on my car.

My bigger concern is it just doesn’t feel right. Just don’t know how to proceed if they say it’s fine.

That’s what I’m going to do, the boot clip / lock and the trim are tiny repairs, the original garage but some double sided sticky tap on the number plate when I pointed it out. I suspect they will say the dent that is still there wasn’t caused by the other car and was pre existing - I honestly don’t know either way but was out of the way of the other damage, but I’m usually pretty good at spotting damage on my car.

My bigger concern is it just doesn’t feel right. Just don’t know how to proceed if they say it’s fine.
If they say it’s fine, threaten with the ombudsman. Will be a bit of a clart as they have 8 weeks to respond and resolve your complaint. If you still aren’t happy then you can take it to the ombudsman.
Insurance companies are charged about £550 or so for each referral to the ombudsman regardless if they win the complaint referral. So if the fault is gonna cost them £300 to fix, they will do it as in a sense it will save them £250. Plus the cost of man hours and letters etc they have to send to you, and then the ombudsman.

If they say it’s fine, threaten with the ombudsman. Will be a bit of a clart as they have 8 weeks to respond and resolve your complaint. If you still aren’t happy then you can take it to the ombudsman.
Insurance companies are charged about £550 or so for each referral to the ombudsman regardless if they win the complaint referral. So if the fault is gonna cost them £300 to fix, they will do it as in a sense it will save them £250. Plus the cost of man hours and letters etc they have to send to you, and then the ombudsman.

Cheers, I’m sure they will sort the trim details, but I don’t really know how to explain it to anybody apart from it’s noisy and doesn’t drive as it did! I sound like a right dopey sod!

Tell them to fuck ‘right off’

Baddum ‘tish

Cheers, I’m sure they will sort the trim details, but I don’t really know how to explain it to anybody apart from it’s noisy and doesn’t drive as it did! I sound like a right dopey sod!
Explain to whichever alternative garage. Regardless of how daft it sounds

Right in front of the garage until the useless bellends sort out what they should have done. Everyone loves a one man protest, alternatively you could contact the local paper and arrange for an angry arms folded photo to be taken and get a little story about yourself done.

Back