Insurance claim for a scratch on a car

If it’s your fault then there’s nothing you can do. You have bumped into a parked car. I don’t blame her going through the insurance, she’s only leasing the car.

Was parking my car at JD gym car park in the town last Friday. Normally I park facing the bushes but since there’s work on there I parked right outside the door. As I’ve parked my Mondeo the sun hit my eyes and I lost concentration for a split second. I’ve scratched the car next to me which is a 2017 Merc on hire from the NHS (so the owner has told me)

I left my details on the wiper and about an hour later the lass comes out. She tells me she’s been onto her insurance company and they told her they’ll sort it for her. I said that it would probably be cheaper for everyone if she took it to a garage and if she did I’d pay for the damage. The scratch was literally seven inches long and hasn’t damaged the metal, it’s just took the paint off.

I got a call the other day from my insurance company and the lad sounded chuffed that the lass has made a claim against me. He said they’ll pay for it but I’ve lost two years no claims which leaves me with one year.

Is there anything I could and should do here? Should I just accept it or should I challenge it? I’ve got a load of pictures of it like and she was parked right on the line but it’s my own fault for hitting it.
Good on you for owning up to it.

If it happened to you you'd be grateful someone admitted to it. Hopefully the no claims won't make too big a difference and you'll have it built back up before too long.

Someone damaged right across the front of my car while it was parked up and scratched all the bumper, number plate and front grill before f***ing off. Can only hope all the white paint it left behind meant they'd scratched theirs to bits as well.

Last edited:
f***ing Hell mate. The absolute arsehole, parking that car in a designated parking bay then selfishly walking away and leaving the big, shiny, metallic bastard completely motionless, right in the exact spot your car was going to wildly career into hours later.
The nerve on some people astounds me.

To be fair it was more of a gentle tap than wildly careering

Suck it up mate... you can't win this one.

It's all fine and dandy saying you will pay for the repair etc, but are you also going to.pay for courtesy car whilst it's in being fixed?

Happened to me outside the CooP near where I live this time last year. A White van man reversed into the wing of my Golf and it looked like he was just about to do away when I came out of the shop.

Luckily 2 lasses who were parked nearby saw him do it - they alerted me and told me what had happened so I went after him .... He admitted it, but tried to say I was illegally parked (which I was not) When he asked to pay for the repair out of his pocket (He reckoned his mate had a garage) and not get insurance involved - I replied with: "OK as long as you going to sort out a hire car whilst it's in being repaired too?" He replied: "Well that's not possible as it will cost loads!!" I just told him "I need my car (or any car) as I work in Gateshead and have a 50 minute each way commute every day ... so lets just swap details and let insurance sort it!...." He umm'd and ah'd for a bit so I just said "let's phone the coppers and see what they say?" At this point I was suspicious that he had no insurance..

It did get sorted via insurance in the end and I got a hire car while mine was being repaired. I wasn't inconvenienced but I did feel a bit shit having to go down that route.

At the end of the day I would have conceded if the boot had been on the other foot.

That's life. These things happen!!

Remind the girl that it will cost her £100 out of her own pocket for the insurer to repair it. If you can show it would be cheaper to let you repair it, using the same repairer then you might be in a better position.
I would never agree to that if I had a lease car. The people that check them over when you return them can spot a scratch on a gnats chuff from 30 paces. Fuck saving someone else’s no claims if there’s a chance it’ll cost you big down the line when it wasn’t your fault.
Obviously if you scratch it yourself pay for a repair to save your no claims then keep your fingers crossed when you return it.

Did you call your insurer first??? I work in transport and our GM told me it's the first thing you should do, even if you are the one at fault. She said it means that your insurer controls the claims, and prevents the other party taking the piss with extras.

Can any insurance brokers confirm this??

That implies that you know who the party at fault is.
I reckon the bloke admitting he did it is quite sa strong indicator of which party is at fault. Unless you think the unoccupied vehicle managed to do it?

The claim is against the OPs insurance so the NHS lease vehicle insurance company isn't paying a penny therefore neither is that Merc driver hence why the OP is getting stung
Remind the girl that it will cost her £100 out of her own pocket for the insurer to repair it. If you can show it would be cheaper to let you repair it, using the same repairer then you might be in a better position.
In addition an insurance companies approved repairer is usually shite and the repair is not always acceptable by the lease company. Proper body shop will always do a proper job as opposed to accident repair centre. Plastic welding and full respray instead of of fill and touch up paint etc

Last edited:
Did you call your insurer first??? I work in transport and our GM told me it's the first thing you should do, even if you are the one at fault. She said it means that your insurer controls the claims, and prevents the other party taking the piss with extras.

Can any insurance brokers confirm this??

Yup

Was parking my car at JD gym car park in the town last Friday. Normally I park facing the bushes but since there’s work on there I parked right outside the door. As I’ve parked my Mondeo the sun hit my eyes and I lost concentration for a split second. I’ve scratched the car next to me which is a 2017 Merc on hire from the NHS (so the owner has told me)

I left my details on the wiper and about an hour later the lass comes out. She tells me she’s been onto her insurance company and they told her they’ll sort it for her. I said that it would probably be cheaper for everyone if she took it to a garage and if she did I’d pay for the damage. The scratch was literally seven inches long and hasn’t damaged the metal, it’s just took the paint off.

I got a call the other day from my insurance company and the lad sounded chuffed that the lass has made a claim against me. He said they’ll pay for it but I’ve lost two years no claims which leaves me with one year.

Is there anything I could and should do here? Should I just accept it or should I challenge it? I’ve got a load of pictures of it like and she was parked right on the line but it’s my own fault for hitting it.

You have hit another car and they are claiming against you. And your asking it you can challenge it.... Seriously?

And on another thread someones asking what they should do as their gas has gone off.

This place is fucked.

Back