Insulate Britain

Just watched some interviews.
What do they want? Is it for the government to insulate all homes? They keep quoting the same report.
Surely most people who own their homes have insulated their homes? Most of these spokespersons haven't.
They come across like a cult.

Yes, that is how a country functions. I'd gladly see my tax spent on insulating homes across the country, with social housing prioritised. It'll disproportionately benefit those on lower incomes too, cutting CO2 emissions and keeps people warm. Bastards, eh.
They ve conveniently not added costings to their “ demands “ and where the additional revenue comes from.
That would be a start ……..

Banned from driving for the time being and at least £310 in costs so far.
Good.

If only we'd actually insulated Britain, then we wouldn't be in such a mess now that we no longer want to buy fossil fuels from Russia.
It’s as if all that middle-class tomfoolery was in vain.

Yes, that is how a country functions. I'd gladly see my tax spent on insulating homes across the country, with social housing prioritised. It'll disproportionately benefit those on lower incomes too, cutting CO2 emissions and keeps people warm. Bastards, eh.
Yes, Insulate Britain are bastards, you are correct.
The ends do not justify the means.
Expecting the taxpayer to pay for improvements to private property?
That‘s a new one on me.

Last edited:
Yes, Insulate Britain are bastards, you are correct.
The ends do not justify the means.

That‘s a new one on me.
Starting with social housing as I say in my post. Ultimately we all benefit from the country being insulated anyway, there's a climate crisis still raging on in the background.

Insulate Britain have been vindicated over the last 6 months with gas and electricity bills going through the roof, and now us needing to rapidly shift away from Russian oil (and this absolute muppet getting a driving ban is the hilarious icing on the cake).

If the government had taken their demands seriously and started the ball rolling on insulating the country we'd be in a much better position to avoid people freezing to death this winter, and be pushing ourselves towards net zero goals.

Starting with social housing as I say in my post. Ultimately we all benefit from the country being insulated anyway, there's a climate crisis still raging on in the background.

Insulate Britain have been vindicated over the last 6 months with gas and electricity bills going through the roof, and now us needing to rapidly shift away from Russian oil (and this absolute muppet getting a driving ban is the hilarious icing on the cake).

If the government had taken their demands seriously and started the ball rolling on insulating the country we'd be in a much better position to avoid people freezing to death this winter, and be pushing ourselves towards net zero goals.

I think insulating the lower end of the private sector would be better

Approx 45% of the social sector is EPC D or below, rising to 60% for the private sector

Unlikely IMO that the higher end of the private sector not properly insulated, as they’re less likely to be BTL and probably single-property landlords who’ve opted to rent out their former rather than sell it

I abhor the idea of subsiding the BTL crowd but tenants of the lower end of the private sector are most likely to be fuel poor and living in homes that are likely BTL with no incentive to upgrade

That‘s a new one on me.
That's a very narrow-minded view of things. We're pissing fossil fuels away on keeping houses warm, and we have to buy that stuff from countries we'd rather not have to grovel to. Its in our collective interest to reduce our use.
Its not about middle class people getting their lofts insulated for nowt, its about getting back control of our national energy requirements. Something that is massively important to every single one of us.
I abhor the idea of subsiding the BTL crowd but tenants of the lower end of the private sector are most likely to be fuel poor and living in homes that are likely BTL with no incentive to upgrade
Let's face facts though, the EPC rating of a house bears almost zero influence on the value of that property. BTL landlords are not making a penny in their pocket if the government come and insulate the walls, floors and roofs of their houses. The only people who gain financially are the renters from lower energy costs - which is largely a win for the nation.

Last edited:
That's a very narrow-minded view of things. We're pissing fossil fuels away on keeping houses warm, and we have to buy that stuff from countries we'd rather not have to grovel to. Its in our collective interest to reduce our use.
Its not about middle class people getting their lofts insulated for nowt, its about getting back control of our national energy requirements. Something that is massively important to every single one of us.

Let's face facts though, the EPC rating of a house bears almost zero influence on the value of that property. BTL landlords are not making a penny in their pocket if the government come and insulate the walls, floors and roofs of their houses. The only people who gain financially are the renters from lower energy costs - which is largely a win for the nation.

I absolutely agree. I don’t like giving them something for nothing, but saving on the bills for people most likely to be fuel poor is most important IMO

I’m all for the poorest getting help with insulating their homes, perhaps means tested. I also think there should be massive incentives for solar panel installations.
What I absolutely don’t like is Insulate Britain’s reckless obstruction of public roads, including motorways.
Their leader doesn’t even have his own home insulated, and when they’ve appeared on TV interviews, they’ve been humiliated. They’re already responsible for the permanent severe disability of one innocent person due to blocking roads.
Fair enough, if there’s a fair and workable way of doing it, then as you say it’s in our collective Interests.
Point well made and duly taken.

Last edited:

Back