Insulate Britain

Was going to start a thread on this. Blocked the M25 this morning, this time right in the middle of the motorway not at a slip junction.

They are playing a very dangerous game, only takes one distracted driver and someone dies.
I think they need to watch Michael Douglas in Falling Down. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the basic plot is a divorced bloke trying to get home for his little'uns. birthday and he gets snarled up in traffic
I'm not suggesting for a moment anyone will go on the sort of rampage he did but somebody might be just be pushed far enough to give somebody a good shoeing.

It's also illegal
And they'll get done for it.
See above, if it was your mam how would you feel?

Clearly on a wind up.
I'd be sad like mate, that's a daft question.
I think you’re kidding yourself. I think they were probably a net negative to the cause.

Thankfully the peaceful protests of Greta Thunberg gained worldwide attention and focus to such an extent the net negative was small.

And it wasn’t that the tube thing came at the end of their protests per se, but that the tube thing ended their protests. It was such an own goal.
I think you're underplaying their influence, but respect your opinion. I've just a look at wiki and it seems that the tube protest happened in October, but the original 11 day occupation of London was in April, so it happened way after the initial 'success' (I'd argue most of what they've done since has probably undone some public goodwill). I didn't realise it was much later in the year.

Here's the thing.

Most, if not all are concerned about the climate, we get it.

Thing is, I would put my bottom dollar on the fact that most of these protesters go home at night and plan their cheap flights to the South of France.

They are the equivalent of a poor Prince Harry..... Give it the big UN about how much they care, then jump into a gas guzzling jet.

That's what gets folks back up..

And they'll get done for it.

I'd be sad like mate, that's a daft question.

I think you're underplaying their influence, but respect your opinion. I've just a look at wiki and it seems that the tube protest happened in October, but the original 11 day occupation of London was in April, so it happened way after the initial 'success' (I'd argue most of what they've done since has probably undone some public goodwill). I didn't realise it was much later in the year.
So is it worth risking peoples lives for a protest?

She could have died. Now she is paralyzed.

Laws incoming hopefully to halt silly stunts like this. A 6 month stint in jail would nip it in the bud fairly quickly.

There are already laws against this. They're breaking at least two if not three laws. We don't need additional ones just for protesters.

Should have kept Boris's water cannons, absolute knackers they are. Fire engines, ambulances, people doing their jobs, people going to the airport etc etc. all having their life bolloxed up. The police should just ignore the twats, let the drivers who are held up loose on them. Happy for police involvement if they clear any blockage within 3 minutes of arrival, don't care whether it's truncheons or pepper spray.

Should have kept Boris's water cannons, absolute knackers they are. Fire engines, ambulances, people doing their jobs, people going to the airport etc etc. all having their life bolloxed up. The police should just ignore the twats, let the drivers who are held up loose on them. Happy for police involvement if they clear any blockage within 3 minutes of arrival, don't care whether it's truncheons or pepper spray.

I bet you did well at school

They do it because they know the police will tickle them with a feather duster.

He’s got a point tho hasn’t he? Had they staged a peaceful protest outside of parliament nobody would be discussing it but by blocking a motorway, no matter how annoying it is, means it’s far more newsworthy.
It’s not just annoying though, it’s downright dangerous and innocent people could end up being killed.

They brought decarbonisation to the top of the agenda and helped to change the parameters of what we need be doing to achieve that asap. The fact they're so controversial keeps these things in the news and the pressure on. Look at how we talk about the climate emergency now compared to 3 years ago, it's like night and day.

How am I conflating the two? This is a civil disobedience protest, it's supposed to cause deliberate disruption.

I don't understand this at all. Outlawing protest is anti-democratic and a really worrying path to go down.
No one has suggested outlawing protest. You can be civilly disobedient without risking lives.

This has backfired horribly, as now most people think this lot are acting like entitled attention seeking counts.

Back