Insomnia

Wild Card

Winger
I have been ignoring this for a while but its starting to effect my work so thought I would mention it.

I have been a poor sleeper from my 20's. However, in the last year or so, my sleep has deteriorated massively. My average night now consists of falling asleep within ten mins for about ten mins then lying awake for 1 to two hours, followed broken sleep sleep to about 5am. I think on average I'm asleep for about 4 hours a day and hardly any of that will be deep sleep.

In the past, I would usually have this pattern for about 6 days and then drop on the 7th and be out light a light for 9 hours but my catch up day has disappeared.

I have noticed a large drop in my cognitive ability and my focus is non existent, its like having constant brain fog unless something really piques my interest. My irritability levels are through the roof and I struggle to hold onto conversations.

Work have also noticed, asking why I haven't been as productive as previous years and why I'm making more transposition errors.

Has anyone experienced similar and how did they fix it?

I have tried the usual stuff, no phones or caffeine after a certain time etc.

Weighted blanket helped me massively but my cause was obviously pain.

Have you tried the sleepio app? It’s basically online cbt for sleep.

Make an appointment with your gp. Given current wait times, keep a sleep diary beforehand. Time you go to bed, approx when you fell asleep and whatever details you can remember about waking during the night.

In some ways a sleep diary can be counter productive in the short term but it’ll be useful for your gp.

There’s blood tests that can be done to rule rule out physical causes like subtle changes to your thyroid, b12, folate and iron levels.

Weighted blanket helped me massively but my cause was obviously pain.

Have you tried the sleepio app? It’s basically online cbt for sleep.

Make an appointment with your gp. Given current wait times, keep a sleep diary beforehand. Time you go to bed, approx when you fell asleep and whatever details you can remember about waking during the night.

In some ways a sleep diary can be counter productive in the short term but it’ll be useful for your gp.

There’s blood tests that can be done to rule rule out physical causes like subtle changes to your thyroid, b12, folate and iron levels.

Thanks for this, appreciated

Have you tried a blue light filter on your screens in the evening? That really helps me.

I've cut out caffeine after mid-afternoon. I get ready for bed and try to relax downstairs before I get into bed, so I'm feeling sleepy by the time I go up. I've stopped putting big lights on during the evening and manage to use the bathroom before bed with just the low light from my bedside lamp. That's helped me be ready to drop off when I get into bed.

I was given some pillow spray from work which is nice and relaxing. I might buy more when it runs out.

Do you exercise? Eat well? Often on the drink?

Those three things can make a massive difference in your sleeping.

Apart from too many chocolate hobnobs im usually pretty good with the above, I play 5 a side 2 nights a week and in between do 10K on the watt bike when i get in from work. I dont usually drink during the week because i need to be on the ball for work. Maybe I eat too late though, its worth a change, easy fix.
Have you tried a blue light filter on your screens in the evening? That really helps me.

I've cut out caffeine after mid-afternoon. I get ready for bed and try to relax downstairs before I get into bed, so I'm feeling sleepy by the time I go up. I've stopped putting big lights on during the evening and manage to use the bathroom before bed with just the low light from my bedside lamp. That's helped me be ready to drop off when I get into bed.

I was given some pillow spray from work which is nice and relaxing. I might buy more when it runs out.

I think screens is going to be the crux of the problem.

I get up at 5.45, commute to work and read the news on my phone for an hour. get to work for half 7ish and spend till 4ish/4.30 on a screen, commute back home and read the news again on my phone.

When I get home at 5.30, I will watch half an our of telly while I bash out 10K on the bike. Put the bairn to bed with a couple of books and then watch telly again until I go to bed at 10.30.

Totalling it up, I'm watching a screen for 14 to 15 hours a day which is obviously way too high.

Will get myself on the book thread and try and do some reading on a night instead, or at least for the last hour before bed.

Thanks for both of your replies.

Apart from too many chocolate hobnobs im usually pretty good with the above, I play 5 a side 2 nights a week and in between do 10K on the watt bike when i get in from work. I dont usually drink during the week because i need to be on the ball for work. Maybe I eat too late though, its worth a change, easy fix.

I think screens is going to be the crux of the problem.

I get up at 5.45, commute to work and read the news on my phone for an hour. get to work for half 7ish and spend till 4ish/4.30 on a screen, commute back home and read the news again on my phone.

When I get home at 5.30, I will watch half an our of telly while I bash out 10K on the bike. Put the bairn to bed with a couple of books and then watch telly again until I go to bed at 10.30.

Totalling it up, I'm watching a screen for 14 to 15 hours a day which is obviously way too high.

Will get myself on the book thread and try and do some reading on a night instead, or at least for the last hour before bed.

Thanks for both of your replies.
With the information you've disclosed, it would seem your ultradian rhythm is totally out of synch, which will affect your circadian rhythm (24 hour clock), which'll affect your REM/NREM sleep. During the day It is important to have a 10-minute 'power nap' every 90/120 minutes to refresh the electrolyte levels in your mind. PM me if you need me to elaborate shipmate.

With the information you've disclosed, it would seem your ultradian rhythm is totally out of synch, which will affect your circadian rhythm (24 hour clock), which'll affect your REM/NREM sleep. During the day It is important to have a 10-minute 'power nap' every 90/120 minutes to refresh the electrolyte levels in your mind. PM me if you need me to elaborate shipmate.

Thank you. I will be honest, I have never heard of any of that.

I will do some research.

It seems likely that there is merit in this, I always seem to fall into a deep sleep at around 4.30 to 5am and then awoken from a dream state at 5.45am when my alarm goes off.

Thanks again.

Thank you. I will be honest, I have never heard of any of that.

I will do some research.

It seems likely that there is merit in this, I always seem to fall into a deep sleep at around 4.30 to 5am and then awoken from a dream state at 5.45am when my alarm goes off.

Thanks again.
Good morning shipmate. The rhythms I mentioned are dealt with by the level of your mind that deals with time management. In the past offices/factories had a tea trolley come round morning/afternoon, which allowed a few minutes for staff to break the pattern and refresh the mind. Smoking breaks was another way but they have also been eliminated. Now, more and more people are suffering overwhelm and procrastination, which affects sleep patterns. Hope this information is clearer.

What do you mean by power nap? Just step away from a screen, do something else or actually have a wee kip?

could you post more information here, I think this could be very helpful for many people, very interesting, I had heard about the circadian rhythm and rem sleep but not heard about ultradian rhythm before.

What do you mean by power nap? Just step away from a screen, do something else or actually have a wee kip?
could you post more information here, I think this could be very helpful for many people, very interesting, I had heard about the circadian rhythm and rem sleep but not heard about ultradian rhythm before.
Hi shipmates. A power nap is just a term for a short break to interrupt a pattern of thinking, working etc to refresh the mind - having a cup of tea, a fag, a mars bar, just looking at the clouds floating, trees swaying or recalling an enjoyable memory is enough.

The ultradian rhythm are cycles/oscillations of energy that start dropping once you get up out of bed and can bottom out between 90/120 minutes. The short break helps them peak again to get you through the next 90/120 minutes. It goes on through the day and even during the night.

If someone never takes a break, then the energy levels sap and that affects the circadian rhythm - our 24-hour clock. Further to that is our Infradian rhythm, which manages things beyond 24-hours - a woman's menstrual cycle is an example of that and can be affected by the ultradian/circadian cycle being out of kilter.

There's plenty of good stuff on Google to give you a far better insight than I can on this thread. Happy to answer any more questions though.

Hi shipmates. A power nap is just a term for a short break to interrupt a pattern of thinking, working etc to refresh the mind - having a cup of tea, a fag, a mars bar, just looking at the clouds floating, trees swaying or recalling an enjoyable memory is enough.

The ultradian rhythm are cycles/oscillations of energy that start dropping once you get up out of bed and can bottom out between 90/120 minutes. The short break helps them peak again to get you through the next 90/120 minutes. It goes on through the day and even during the night.

If someone never takes a break, then the energy levels sap and that affects the circadian rhythm - our 24-hour clock. Further to that is our Infradian rhythm, which manages things beyond 24-hours - a woman's menstrual cycle is an example of that and can be affected by the ultradian/circadian cycle being out of kilter.

There's plenty of good stuff on Google to give you a far better insight than I can on this thread. Happy to answer any more questions though.

Appreciate your replies. Thanks!

Blue light gegs worked absolute wonders for me. Pop them on about 8pm and I'm nodding often before I've even gone to bed.
Inulin and tryptophan. You can get them in powder form and mix them into a warm drink.
Zinc, magnesium.
I've rotated gaba, melatonin, herbal tablets with some weeks on and off them.
Zopiclone works a treat but isn't to be taken lightly as it's addictive.

For some reason the last few weeks i've really struggled, can't seem to get over to sleep.
I started taking 5htp and hour or so before bed and using a sad lamp when i first wake up.
Still not sure if they work but last night was the 1st night i've actually got to sleep in normal time. I did wake up once for a pee but then went back to sleep.
Think my circadian rhythm has been out of sync, i'm hoping to get another decent night tonight

Update....started to get to sleep as normal but had my works Xmas party on Saturday night.
Never took the 5htp as not recommended with alcohol.
Anyhoo I slept when I got in (early hours of Sunday morning) but problem returned last night, not sure if its the alcohol in my system affecting it as don't normally drink.
Also I was disturbed by the wife coughing getting up etc so that wouldn't of helped

I've mentioned this on some other threads but listening/watching ASMR content on YouTube/Spotify can help get you to sleep. I stumbled across it by chance, I started watching a video one time then next thing I remember it was the next morning. Thought it was strange so tried watching it again the next night and I drifted off again. Usually watch it most nights now, pretty relaxing and satisfying.
Listening/watching to ASMR content on YouTube/Spotify can help get you to sleep. I stumbled across it by chance, I started watching a video one time then next thing I remember it was the next morning. Thought it was strange so tried watching it again the next night and I drifted off again. Usually watch it most nights now, pretty relaxing and satisfying.
It's the body's response to certain audio or visual stimuli, known as 'triggers'. It's all based around soft, gentle sounds and people can experience what is known as 'tingles', which is like a little sort of shiver you get down your spine. The videos/sounds relax you and can put you to sleep. A basic example would be listening to soft rainfall hitting a roof. Bob Ross' painting videos are quite popular because of his calm voice. There's 1000s of videos on YouTube, lots of different types and best experienced using headphones.

Here is an example, may seem strange at first but it definitely helps me get to sleep.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this on some other threads but listening/watching ASMR content on YouTube/Spotify can help get you to sleep. I stumbled across it by chance, I started watching a video one time then next thing I remember it was the next morning. Thought it was strange so tried watching it again the next night and I drifted off again. Usually watch it most nights now, pretty relaxing and satisfying.

It's the body's response to certain audio or visual stimuli, known as 'triggers'. It's all based around soft, gentle sounds and people can experience what is known as 'tingles', which is like a little sort of shiver you get down your spine. The videos/sounds relax you and can put you to sleep. A basic example would be listening to soft rainfall hitting a roof. Bob Ross' painting videos are quite popular because of his calm voice. There's 1000s of videos on YouTube, lots of different types and best experienced using headphones.

Here is an example, may seem strange at first but it definitely helps me get to sleep.

Will give that a watch. Forgot about watching Bob Ross videos, can confirm they work.

That’s the weirdest thing ever but it works

Back