Inglorious Basterds

The opening scene is good and there a few other set pieces that are canny, but there's far too many cringey bits. The Bear Jew shit is embarrassing and the film opening bit where Brad Pitt's pretending to be Italian and it turns into a screwball comedy is terrible.
Tarantino undoubtedly revolutionised film in the 90s but his suffered from a massive case of hubris ever since - most of his output since Jackie Brown has been self-indulgent wankery.

The opening scene is good and there a few other set pieces that are canny, but there's far too many cringey bits. The Bear Jew shit is embarrassing and the film opening bit where Brad Pitt's pretending to be Italian and it turns into a screwball comedy is terrible.
Tarantino undoubtedly revolutionised film in the 90s but his suffered from a massive case of hubris ever since - most of his output since Jackie Brown has been self-indulgent wankery.

He's there lad. :lol:
I do still like his films, a lot in cases, but he really does need a hard as fuck assistant to rein him in at times.

I think it is one of his better ones. People are used to anything WW2 related being completely devoid of humour (Allo Allo excluded) so i think that's what makes it seem odd to some.

The story is a fantasy, not a retelling of actual events. I think QT described it as a western with WW2 iconography. If you set your suspension of disbelief to a correct level it is a really good film.

Back