India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went for a few weeks (Delhi and Rajasthan) and, despite the fact it's insane, enjoyed it. Great food and fantastic experiences.

Top tip from me is to carry some of that hand sanitiser and use it before each meal. That and check that any bottled water you get in a restaurant hasn't already had the seal broken (or better still stick to beer). Never had a single tummy related incident while I was there.

Went for a few weeks (Delhi and Rajasthan) and, despite the fact it's insane, enjoyed it. Great food and fantastic experiences.

Top tip from me is to carry some of that hand sanitiser and use it before each meal. That and check that any bottled water you get in a restaurant hasn't already had the seal broken (or better still stick to beer). Never had a single tummy related incident while I was there.
Ditto. Even indulged in a bit of Old Delhi street food n all. Just picked the one with the longest Q.

couldn't pay me to go there. Looks dirty and shit
This. Might deserve to be logged in the 'unpopular opinions' thread but what a shit country. They think they're the cradle of civilization and the origin of all these peace loving religions but they've been fighting among themselves for millennia. The food is rank (I don't like curry, nor the BO smell of people who've eaten it recently). Mother Theresa was Albanian but lived there and she was a well-known little shithouse. As was Ghandi the Hitler-admiring nonce. They're always blathering on about how the British were twats to them ... OK they might have a point there but we also gave them a train system, an education system (wonder how many have the last name 'Engineer' now), a legal and parliamentary system, a military blueprint, one usable language instead of fifteen hundred unintelligible dialects, cricket and squash and gin-and-tonic and polo plus we tried to do away with their hideous caste system and despite still giving them millions in 'guilt' aid which they spend on a space program, as Stephen Fry said 80% of them own a mobile phone but only 50% get to shit on a flushing bog. And they're always calling me at ridiculous hours of the night with unbelievable Anglo names and trying to sell me crap or tell me my computer isn't working, the chuffing parasites. And to top all of this, with a few exceptions the 'wad' factor among their bewers is depressingly low and saris look shit.

Last edited:
I've been to Bangalore on business a couple of times but I had locals with me everywhere when I was out and about so I was well looked after when shopping for presents etc.

My top tip is get ready for the most mental roads you've ever seen. My favourite was a taxi ride in the middle of a thunderstorm. The chap driving was having a heated debate with someone on the phone, no seat belt on and no working wipers so he was hanging out of the window ace ventura style, it is unforgettable in many ways!

I've been to Bangalore on business a couple of times but I had locals with me everywhere when I was out and about so I was well looked after when shopping for presents etc.

My top tip is get ready for the most mental roads you've ever seen. My favourite was a taxi ride in the middle of a thunderstorm. The chap driving was having a heated debate with someone on the phone, no seat belt on and no working wipers so he was hanging out of the window ace ventura style, it is unforgettable in many ways!
People telling these type of stories - you do realize you're not exactly doing a bang up sales job. I mean I'm all for a bit of adventure, don't need to be coddled in all inclusive every trip I go on but I do expect to return in one piece. With my balloon knot still attached.

Thanks all. Some useful advice in there particularly about the bog roll :lol:

I'm going there for work and will be with Indian colleagues for the complete duration so I should have some degree of protection/ assistance. Will be spending 3 days in a factory but hope to get to see some sights as well...no doubt just going there will be an experience in itself.
Not Dupont is it ?

People telling these type of stories - you do realize you're not exactly doing a bang up sales job. I mean I'm all for a bit of adventure, don't need to be coddled in all inclusive every trip I go on but I do expect to return in one piece. With my balloon knot still attached.

It really is part of the experience in all honesty. The first time I went we were leaving the airport in a smart motor (I'd been up for 26 hours at this point) look to my right and there's a fella on a motorbike. Nowt to unusual there except he had a cage full of live chickens strapped to his head.

Everything going on was normal for them though, way of life, get used to it or stay in your hotel are your options really.

It's also worth pointing out that because the congestion is so bad they rarely get up past 30mph anyway.

It really is part of the experience in all honesty. The first time I went we were leaving the airport in a smart motor (I'd been up for 26 hours at this point) look to my right and there's a fella on a motorbike. Nowt to unusual there except he had a cage full of live chickens strapped to his head.

Everything going on was normal for them though, way of life, get used to it or stay in your hotel are your options really.

It's also worth pointing out that because the congestion is so bad they rarely get up past 30mph anyway.
On the way to work we used to play spot the most people on a form of transport. 5 on a motorbike and 9 in a tuktuk were the records

I went to India at the beginning of 2016 (New Delhi, Agra, Janipur), it was a mixed, but above all a very valuable experience, prepare for the following:

1) You will be overwhelmed like never before with people trying to sell you everything under the sun. Indians in India are extremely pushy businesspeople and don't lay off easily. You cannot walk down a street with at least being solicited by three rickshaw drivers or beggars.
2) In addition to point one, expect a lot of people to ask you for money or a "tip". Indians do it upfront, don't be scared to say no, but if you are on an organised tour and your guides and helpers ask for a tip they will openly express disgruntlement to you if you don't hand them "enough".
3) You will have no language problems, almost every Indian speaks perfect English.
4) Toilets in India do not have toilet roll! bring your own wet wipes and I mean lots of them!!
5) Prepare for the event of getting an upset stomach, it's almost unavoidable. Bring necessary tablets and necessities.
6) Make sure you secure your wallet in a place not reachable by thieves. I had no issues whilst there, but there is always a risk in a country like that
7) prepare to see a lot of unusual things: such as cows roaming the streets, wild street dogs, monkeys on rooftops and beggars knocking on car windows for money at lights and junctions
8) Always make sure you get the right change
9) If you're going into tourist shops, be prepared to negotiate hard.

Once you've got your head round all of this, you'll be fine. India is an incredible experience, the culture and history are simply priceless to see.

I will stick to Lake Garda, thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back