India v England series

Root. They will probably bowl root for 20 overs

I know I joke on about Bess and yes he bowls dross at times but he also bowls gems and is lucky. He got rid of kohli with a beauty in the first test.

leach and him in tandem could have built pressure like ashwin and axar.

well we shall see if archer, broad and Anderson can use their skill under lights as we presumably hoped for when we selected this team
From the highlights, it seems obvious that we should have selected Bess, erratic though he is.
From here, I think the best we can hope for is to be 150 behind on the first innings. Of course, and as a final insult, they are batting deep, this time.

The Broad LBW was a shocker mind and rightly overturned.

Yes it was - it was the one bad decision against us by the on fielders today that was overturned as was giving Rohit out with such a big stride in (bit not as bad as Broad's). Stokes catch was a generous one for them to give on the field of play also ;)

From the highlights, it seems obvious that we should have selected Bess, erratic though he is.
From here, I think the best we can hope for is to be 150 behind on the first innings. Of course, and as a final insult, they are batting deep, this time.
They’ve fallen on the view that it would swing under lights, when imo it was clear for all to see after the second test that spin pitches would be served up.

10 overs and spin at both ends says it all. Leach bowled well this evening and who knows but in tandem with Bess we could have had them five down.

I agree with lots of that and it seems Kohli has previous for running on the pitch in Australia (mind you he wasn't sanctioned there with Australian umpires either) I just dont agree with the umpires call line of argument. Umpires are looking as to whether a ball is hitting the player in line or not and whether is going on to hit or not. They have a split second to decide and they cant distinguish between a ball that's hitting 3/4 the way up middle stump or hitting the bails. No umpire is that good and all umpires get gigs in the future based on their success rate, their future earnings depend on making good decisions.
I have moved on this after our discussions in the last test - its clear that Kohli is out of order in how he is conducting himself and applying pressure and while i was willing to give the benefit of doubt re the technology decisions in the second test but not now simply down to the lack of time a consideration they are giving to close calls. I wont however criticise umpires for giving people out when they are out. The LBWs against England today people on here called them out at the time the umpires gave it and were then kicking off when it was shown to be umpires call.
I do agree with your stance about the umpires, in general I think the standard these days is very good for what is a difficult job and I see your point about them needing to get decisions right for future earnings.

However I also agree with Carty’s point that their future earnings (IPL gigs) and reputations are potentially in jeopardy here by going against Kohli & India.

I happen to think like you that they are mostly giving lbw decisions here based on whether they think it is out or not, but by the very nature of umpires call, they are marginal decisions.

There is always an element of benefit of the doubt, and the Indians are benefiting far more from that doubt than we. It’s beyond any doubt in my mind that those decisions are being influenced by the Indian’s behaviour and that is wrong.

The reason Kohli gets away with what he does, here and in Oz, imo is because he is such a good batsman. Lots of our pundits are loath to criticise him and make excuses such as it’s the way he plays, his competitiveness makes him the great player he is blah blah blah.

It’s ridiculous and should be pointed out as such. I like a bit of needle as much as the next man and wouldn’t want the game to be bland but the great thing about cricket is it’s fairness and standards and I’d say the same if it were any of our players behaving that way.

I do agree with your stance about the umpires, in general I think the standard these days is very good for what is a difficult job and I see your point about them needing to get decisions right for future earnings.

However I also agree with Carty’s point that their future earnings (IPL gigs) and reputations are potentially in jeopardy here by going against Kohli & India.

I happen to think like you that they are mostly giving lbw decisions here based on whether they think it is out or not, but by the very nature of umpires call, they are marginal decisions.

There is always an element of benefit of the doubt, and the Indians are benefiting far more from that doubt than we. It’s beyond any doubt in my mind that those decisions are being influenced by the Indian’s behaviour and that is wrong.

The reason Kohli gets away with what he does, here and in Oz, imo is because he is such a good batsman. Lots of our pundits are loath to criticise him and make excuses such as it’s the way he plays, his competitiveness makes him the great player he is blah blah blah.

It’s ridiculous and should be pointed out as such. I like a bit of needle as much as the next man and wouldn’t want the game to be bland but the great thing about cricket is it’s fairness and standards and I’d say the same if it were any of our players behaving that way.
I think we can all agree with this. I love a debate though. I can see where rentaghost is coming from but I disagree with his belief. It doesn’t matter and it adds to the enjoyment we get out of the game of cricket.

I cannot wait for the next lbw umpires call

Maybe but at the end of day its down to plays, if your opener, Burns, doesnt score a run, literally, and your number 5s and 6s are just getting out immediately all the bigger picture stuff is kind of irrelevant

I think you'd expect a lot more from Burns, Pope and Stokes, been so so poor all 3 of them.

We just dont like prepared or equipped to deal with it, so in that aspect he was right

I think we can all agree with this. I love a debate though. I can see where rentaghost is coming from but I disagree with his belief. It doesn’t matter and it adds to the enjoyment we get out of the game of cricket.

I cannot wait for the next lbw umpires call

Looking at the 3 test series so far according to cricinfo the lbws that were given out on the field of play, reviewed and were umpires call have been:

First test - none on either side

Second test - Burns, Olly Stone and Virat Kohli

Third test - Root and Stokes (but obviously there have only been 3 Indian wickets to fall so far) Was JB umpires call it wasn't clear on cricinfo?

I realise that only half the story and doesn't consider umpire call reprieves where India or England batsmen weren't given out on the field of play, bowler reviewed and were saved by umpires call.

Just watched the highlights from yesterday again, and the common theme in most our wickets to spin was lack of footwork, shoving a bat and pad out tentatively in the danger zone and hoping for the best. You need to get forward and smother the turn or watch it and play it late, and alternate between the two to prevent the bowler from adjusting his length. TBF some of the turn Patel got was severe on a day one wicket, but you need to expect this playing India and their dodgy groundsmen.

Looking at the 3 test series so far according to cricinfo the lbws that were given out on the field of play, reviewed and were umpires call have been:

First test - none on either side

Second test - Burns, Olly Stone and Virat Kohli

Third test - Root and Stokes (but obviously there have only been 3 Indian wickets to fall so far) Was JB umpires call it wasn't clear on cricinfo?

I realise that only half the story and doesn't consider umpire call reprieves where India or England batsmen weren't given out on the field of play, bowler reviewed and were saved by umpires call.
YJB was 3 reds

Back