Income Tax

Gibraltar Mackem

Central Defender
Obviously I'm probably the only one in the current situation - but with having to work from home (in Spain) the last 3 months, am I right to feel a bit pissed off about paying a couple of grand tax in Gibraltar since then?

Will I have a leg to stand on about getting it back, or will the offended brigade think I'm worse than a serial killer for wanting it returned?

Would have thought it would only make any difference after 6 months out of the UK?

I'm not sure. I've sought further clarification from the Gibraltar Tax Office.

Just a bit unsure what my income tax is paying towards each month when I can't even enter the country.

Do you mind just clarifying why you think you should get the tax back?

Of course. Because I'm resident in a different country.

What is the income tax I pay per month contributing towards when I'm not even able to get into the country for my job?

Any service I pay towards via my income tax is totally useless to me when I'm stuck in Spain (and will be for the next couple of months as well).

What is the income tax I pay per month contributing towards when I'm not even able to get into the country for my job?

Any service I pay towards via my income tax is totally useless to me when I'm stuck in Spain (and will be for the next couple of months as well).
Your tax helps run the country in many other ways marra.

I see.

Personally, I would look at it that you (presumably) don't pay Spanish income tax but you benefit from the rewards of Spanish income tax. Or that the tax you're paying in Gibraltar is going toward keeping the roads, etc etc going so when you go back to work it's all still there for you. No idea what you do.

If you want it back I suppose it's worth a claim but I'm not sure you'd get very far tbh

Your tax helps run the country in many other ways marra.

I don't disagree, however I don't think I should be paying full whack month on month when I can't even enter the country.

I see.

Personally, I would look at it that you (presumably) don't pay Spanish income tax but you benefit from the rewards of Spanish income tax. Or that the tax you're paying in Gibraltar is going toward keeping the roads, etc etc going so when you go back to work it's all still there for you. No idea what you do.

If you want it back I suppose it's worth a claim but I'm not sure you'd get very far tbh

I don't expect every penny of it back don't get me wrong, however I really don't see why I'm paying full income tax month after month in a place I can't even rely on public services etc?

It’s paying my furlough mate. Cheers.

The border being closed apart from if you're a doctor/nurse/carer/other emergency service worker.
I thought people could enter but have to quarantine for a few days, I'm not up on the latest guidance mind I just thought I read something about that the other day.

I thought people could enter but have to quarantine for a few days, I'm not up on the latest guidance mind I just thought I read something about that the other day.

The movement between Spain and Gibraltar is ridiculously strict, so much so plane loads of passengers from Heathrow to Gibraltar have been landing, before being turned back to Heathrow.

Because Gib isn't part of the Schengen (like the UK, obviously) it's a hard border and movement is restricted to the most key workers.

When I was working abroad to be classed as NTS ( Non Tax Status ) you were only allowed in the UK for 90 days in any financial year (April to April)
Any more than 90 days and you paid your taxes.
Think this still applies now.

Back