In defence of Stewart

I really do struggle with the negativity of some of the posters on here. I have been a Sunderland fan for 65 years and have seen some very depressing times and some real chancers. However in Stewart’s case I genuinely believe he has the best interests of Sunderland football club at heart. He is honest enough to admit that he has made mistakes (haven’t we all) but to persecute him in the way he has been I think reflects badly on us as genuine fans. The club needs unity and should get behind him.... stop the vitriol and let’s really get behind the club.
Agree entirely.

Doesn't mean I give him carte blanche though, we need to start to see what the long term plan really is.

TBF we were all pleased we signed Grigg on transfer day even though for a highly inflated fee. Sadly it’s been a disaster but we’d all be wiser with the benefit of hindsight.
He was signed with an injury and was not fit !it was not the signing we needed to replace maja!Only idiots sign injured unfit players when we needed an immediate boost!We need to compete for players that other teams want and stop looking at the cast off market!

Is will grigg worth 500k?
Anyway. I would take that talk of turning down more money in the summer (because he loves us) with a huge pinch of salt.

I think SD is a very decent fella, happy with him in charge. Needs to stop thinking we can go up by the skin of our teeth. We nearly did last time, this time it has to be definite.

He was signed with an injury and was not fit !it was not the signing we need. ed to replace maja!Only idiots sign injured unfit players when we needed an immediate boost!We need to compete for players that other teams want and stop looking at the cast off market!
Had a slight injury nothing major. Had a good record at league one level.Most on here were pleased when we signed him. As I said hindsight would be a great gift.

Agree with the general sentiment of the OP. Some of the nonsense and vitriol being aimed at SD is sad, ridiculous and completely over the top. Half of the time the justification is based on no more than "I just divvn't trust the blerk".

What I really DO NOT understand is where all this anger was two seasons ago when the REAL architect of our downfall was sat on his arse in Florida watching his investment implode because the prick had decided that WE were going to pay for his inability to recruit senior leaders or plan a proper business strategy satisfactorily.

Is will grigg worth 500k?
Anyway. I would take that talk of turning down more money in the summer (because he loves us) with a huge pinch of salt.

I think SD is a very decent fella, happy with him in charge. Needs to stop thinking we can go up by the skin of our teeth. We nearly did last time, this time it has to be definite.
Here’s another one . “I think SD is a very decent fella “.

We are at the lowest point in our history. He oversaw our worst season and since then the approach taken by the club has only made things worse.

He's given his mates jobs in recruitment despite a lack of any achievement which suggest they deserve it. He won't accept any criticism of them, they're above reproach and will continue to ruin our squad because they're so bad at their jobs.

He's also been, at the very least, misleading in comments to the fans at times and sent his aggro mate to have a go at the supporters when they dared question him.

I was very supportive when he came in, believed he had the best intentions ( he may still have and is just incompetent ) and gave him the benefit of the doubt in a lot of things. He's used that good will up I'm afraid. I don't trust him to turn us around, especially if he keeps putting the likes of Hill before the good of the club.

None of what I have said above is abusive, it's just criticism based on his actions and performance.

At least he came on and gave his side like, and it does sound like the better he does the more FPP will get involved, so we just need to hope he can somehow make it work.
I'm curious to know how FPP will judge if he's done well with their $ tho... whether it's purely on getting promoted, or other off-pitch criteria.

I'm curious to know how FPP will judge if he's done well with their $ tho... whether it's purely on getting promoted, or other off-pitch criteria.

Aye that's a fair query. We don't know the length of the time until the loan is due to be repaid but I'd imagine they'd at least expect us out of this league. If that's to happen you'd imagine recruitment will have had to improve, so the two could be linked. If they're considering owning us eventually a lot will be about structure, even if we aren't performing, or the people in the positions aren't performing, they'll want to see what kind of recruitment structure he gets in place. Once it's up and running they can always replace the people but they'll be interested to see what he tries to get in place. I really hope he manages to impress them and can stay on long term, but he needs to start getting a lot of decisions right
Agree with the general sentiment of the OP. Some of the nonsense and vitriol being aimed at SD is sad, ridiculous and completely over the top. Half of the time the justification is based on no more than "I just divvn't trust the blerk".

What I really DO NOT understand is where all this anger was two seasons ago when the REAL architect of our downfall was sat on his arse in Florida watching his investment implode because the prick had decided that WE were going to pay for his inability to recruit senior leaders or plan a proper business strategy satisfactorily.

I think the difference there was that we all knew Short wanted to go. There was a lot of anger, but there wasn't much point protesting etc, he was as desperate to get out as we were for him to go, and no credible buyers seemed to be coming forward. Obviously I don't agree with any abuse etc of Donald but I can understand the frustration. This situation is different because he is so keen to stay, but we know medium to long term he probably can't afford to, whilst there is also an obvious, and potentially very exciting, group wanting to buy us, so some will feel like pressuring him to leave. If we knew for a fact that FPP were going to take over eventually, and that they simply wanted to see if Donald could be the person to run the club or if they'd need to come in with full ownership and hire their own person, there would be a lot less of this unrest.

Last edited:
Had a slight injury nothing major. Had a good record at league one level.Most on here were pleased when we signed him. As I said hindsight would be a great gift.
Its not hindsight fella ,We needed a goalscorer in form to replace maja...We got a injured and unfit player low in confidence because he could not hack it in the championship and we were burdened with a psychologically broken footballer who carried that injury all the way through the season like a badge of honour to explain his lack of goals.We now have a player that has given up and will run down his contract!

I would suggest a new rule for coton ,dont buy injured players out of form and towards the end of their careers especially if they have to drop down a division.

Its not hindsight fella ,We needed a goalscorer in form to replace maja...We got a injured and unfit player low in confidence because he could not hack it in the championship and we were burdened with a psychologically broken footballer who carried that injury all the way through the season like a badge of honour to explain his lack of goals.We now have a player that has given up and will run down his contract!

I would suggest a new rule for coton ,dont buy injured players out of form and towards the end of their careers especially if they have to drop down a division.
Your entitled to your opinion but don’t remember many if at all not wanting him. The fans were all over it when we pulled it off. Obviously with hindsight we wouldn’t of bought him but at the time his record in league one was excellent. I’ve criticised a lot of our signings this last fifteen months but Grigg at the time certainly seemed a good fit. Still don’t think the system we play helps. He needs a big decent centre forward to play off.

He was signed with an injury and was not fit !it was not the signing we needed to replace maja!Only idiots sign injured unfit players when we needed an immediate boost!We need to compete for players that other teams want and stop looking at the cast off market!
And he’d been in and out of the side because of poor form
Your entitled to your opinion but don’t remember many if at all not wanting him. The fans were all over it when we pulled it off. Obviously with hindsight we wouldn’t of bought him but at the time his record in league one was excellent. I’ve criticised a lot of our signings this last fifteen months but Grigg at the time certainly seemed a good fit. Still don’t think the system we play helps. He needs a big decent centre forward to play off.
He was known for playing as a lone striker believe it or not. I’ve seen him play at Wigan and be far less statuesque than he is now but I knew Wigan fans who said he seemed injured all season. Something knocked his form when they went up a league.

Last edited:
And he’d been in and out of the side because of poor form

He was known for playing as a lone striker believe it or not. I’ve seen him play at Wigan and be far less statuesque than he is now but I knew Wigan fans who said he seemed injured all season. Something knocked his form when they went up a league.

Bigger, stronger, faster defenders is my guess.

Back