IMDB ratings made up/distorted?

Could that many people have seen previews? Not sure like.

I find it a useful tool is sifting through all the shite. But you're right. If it's all manipulated then I will be more reluctant to use it in the future

They are definitely skewed. It is part of the promotional effort behind a film to give it as high a rating as possible so there’s no point in paying any attention to them for several months after release. Some films are always overrated for some reason though, for example Star Wars Phantom Menace rates 6.5 which suggests it might be a passable couple of hours on DVD rather than reason so rip out your eyes and stuff them in your ears so you can’t hear the f***ing dialogue either.

As the above lads have already said, some franchises get high ratings because they have fanboys. Biased reviews whether it is shite or not.

Not on the scale of the Sunderland Foodies mind you.

People tend to score everything they like a 9 or a 10 and everything they don't like somewhere between 1 and 3. In reality, how many films can you think of that you'd score as 10/10 meaning absolutely perfect in every possible way?

Could that many people have seen previews? Not sure like.

I find it a useful tool is sifting through all the shite. But you're right. If it's all manipulated then I will be more reluctant to use it in the future

My initial thoughts but I dont think that many people will have seen the previews. A lot has been kept hush hush until its released.

As @Cockney Mackem said, probs not worth paying any attention to ratings until its been out for a while

Makes me even more excited this

This

I’ve just rated it 10/10 and I haven’t even seen it

Logon or register to see this image
I just gave it 1/10.

People tend to score everything they like a 9 or a 10 and everything they don't like somewhere between 1 and 3. In reality, how many films can you think of that you'd score as 10/10 meaning absolutely perfect in every possible way?
None.

Not many but I dont use extreme ratings for what I like/dont like. My range tends to be inside that

This too.

I dont know what that means?
A "shill" is a person paid to give good/bad online reviews or promote a company/product. You find them everywhere, Hotel sites, Comparison sites, etc. IMDB and RT are full of paid shills. The first 5 reviews of any movie will almost always be an 8/10 or better, probably written by someone that worked on the film or is a shill, after that it's a war between trolls/fanboys and real opinions.

The Black Panther movie rating was frozen on RT pre-screening because you had the racist trolls on one side giving it 1/10 and fanboys on the other side giving it 10/10. Nobody had even seen the movie yet ffs. It's getting pretty bad tbh.

Watch something and judge for yourself. That's my advice for every film.

Back