Imagine the scenes

Going into the last game of the season (hypothetical points and GD)

1: Rotherham PTS 83 GD 25
2: SAFC PTS 83 GD 24
3: Coventry PTS 80 GD 28

Last ten minutes of the game Coventry are 5-0 up at Wimbledon

Rotherham 2 Sunderland 2 - casually tapping the ball about waiting for promotion. A goal for either team would send Coventry up automatically at the expense of the other

Stolen off a post by me 2 days ago?;)

Rotherham 2 Sunderland 2 - casually tapping the ball about waiting for promotion. A goal for either team would send Coventry up automatically at the expense of the other
Rotherham would win 3-2 is my guess.

If that happened I’d probably have my cock out like that sad mag

Must admit as someone born after the event I really don’t have this hatred for Coventry.
I’m aware of the needle though and it’s just a bit bizarre that it exists. Coventry for Christ’s sake.

It's in the stars marra.

The minute the fixtures were released for the 2019/20 season, and SAFC were paired to play Rotherham away......it will be 32 years ago all over again. That day in '88 was my best ever away day, this will come close to bring the same :cool:

It's not Coventry who annoyed me it was Jimmy Hill. We had to tolerate years of that man on the BBC pontificating about fair play and football and freely criticising those who he thought had bent the rules. Yet the first time he felt it necessary to pull a stunt himself he did it and he used his celebrity to get away with it. The man was a disgraceful hypocrite.

I'd love it if we delayed our kick off by about 10 minutes (due to crowd congestion, or some other made up bollocks) and then after Coventry had won we could pass around safe in the knowledge that the draw sent us up and Coventry were watching it all unfold on Sky Sports 5. Jimmy Hill would be turning in his grave.

Its mental, people were saying recently they're obsessed with us. We have created this rivalry and have carried it on for 40 years.

I am sure most of the Coventry fans and the current staff are just fine.

However, I was just about over their cheating antics under Jimmy Hill when we were relegated at Wimbledon (Selhurst Park) in 1997. Coventry were also in London on the same day and they beat Spurs to stay up (also a delayed kick off but irrelevant as they needed to win regardless).

I lived in Manchester at the time and had to go to Euston station to return home - obviously full of Coventry fans.
Now most normal football fans that you come across would probably see miserable me in my Sunderland colours and say something like "hard luck" - not the Coventry fans, almost to a man they were goading and taunting me.

It left a very sour taste.

Rings a bell that, last game of the season Wimbledon.

Mentioned this on another thread

payback time

Logon or register to see this image

Ideal situation is us and Rotherham both already secured promotion. I'd rather we were top but I'd take second. Be a class day out, half of Sunderland would turn up in Rotherham for the party.

Back