I'm back to being 100% happy clapper

Agreed - its a big step in the right direction and I liked what I heard from Speakman.

interesting you say that about Speakman, he was at Birmingham for 14 years what did they achieve in that time. He is not the manager I know that but if he was that good someone would have taken him sooner wouldn’t they? I’m not convinced by him or Johnson or Rodwell. It’s just all rhetoric it’s action we need, let’s see what happens

To be fair, I've had to type really slowly to give you chance to understand.

OK, here goes

If I was to bet on a Sunderland promotion, the odds would not be particularly attractive. That's because the consensus says that it's still a real possibility (the bookies rate our chances higher than I do to be honest)

But you know better. You think that we'll be relegated for sure... because you believe the manager is a disaster before he was even 2 hours into the job. So given your certainty on such things, I'd say you're missing a trick if you don't pile on at 200/1.

Unless your earlier statement was perhaps a little of a over-reaction and quite deserving of being laughed at? Go on, admit it... we all have one of those days - I'll forgive you.
I’ll come back on this thread and have a right f***ing good laugh later this season.

Still not putting your money down then?

His time there was up. Why move down the leagues to Sunderland from a cushy number that's kept you employed for 15 year? There's no way it'll be a pay jump.
I'd bet my house that he has received a pay-rise.

This is a promotion for him. Absolutely no doubt about it. The role he has been given is far superior to his previous one. It is a promotion, literally by definition of job title.

The reason he will have taken the gamble is obvious. Dreyfus, and his vision.

I agree that is the reality and I am not impressed with the damage they have done.
However I'm looking at the big picture. We now need to be recruiting and developing excellent young talent.
How many league 1 clubs recruit excellent young talent?
I'd bet my house that he has received a pay-rise.

This is a promotion for him. Absolutely no doubt about it. The role he has been given is far superior to his previous one. It is a promotion, literally by definition of job title.

The reason he will have taken the gamble is obvious. Dreyfus, and his vision.
:lol: Dreyfus and his vision?

Last edited:
He’s taken over 3 clubs in the relegation zone and didn’t get a single one of them promoted. What a horrendous record!

Yes, but he saved them from relegation and got them mid table or higher.
The man's a genius and we are lucky that we have such an astute "ownership group".

There's reason to be cheerful... Even though today was discouraging it can only get better, McGeady is back in from the cold and we're restructuring.... We're not a kick in the arse off the playoff position... Ktf
We just got beat off the bottom team, we are 2 points behind Accrington who have 2 games in hand, F****** Accrington, why didn’t we think about there manager btw what a job he’s done with the lowest budget in the league.

On Mcgeady he is obviously a very talented lad, totally agree with bringing him back in the fold, but also obviously a selfish lad, not a team player, I would work harder than him and I am nearly sixty.
So there is lots to do.
To turn this ship around.

We just got beat off the bottom team, we are 2 points behind Accrington who have 2 games in hand, F****** Accrington, why didn’t we think about there manager btw what a job he’s done with the lowest budget in the league.

On Mcgeady he is obviously a very talented lad, totally agree with bringing him back in the fold, but also obviously a selfish lad, not a team player, I would work harder than him and I am nearly sixty.
So there is lots to do.
To turn this ship around.
Agree it's appealing but like with every new manager we've got to give them time to implement their methods / staff. It pains me to see what's going on at the club but hopefully changes will be a longer term benefit to the club. We need to start winning again ASAP but we're not adrift yet!
Agree it's appealing but like with every new manager we've got to give them time to implement their methods / staff. It pains me to see what's going on at the club but hopefully changes will be a longer term benefit to the club. We need to start winning again ASAP but we're not adrift yet!
*appalling

I know there are concerns about Lee Johnson being a smug twat and also concerns about his results - sometimes great, sometimes crap.
But I 100% wanted a management team that would invest in youth and develop our young players - it looks like we have got that.
I am old enough to support a winning team - 73 was a fantastic year.
In all my times following the lads, one of my favourite times was the Elliott-Arnott-Rowell era born from a disaster.
They did brilliantly even if they did fall short of what I hoped they would have achieved. Does not stop them being absolute Sunderland legends.

The smug twat comments remain my only reservation: but I will live with that if great footy is now coming back our way.

This post caught my eye with the mention of that midfield - Elliott (ball winner) - Arnott (playmaker) - Rowell (goal scorer). It seemed the complete package until Rowell moved forward and Elliott moved back into defence.

However, nothing I have read about Johnson gives me any hope at all. Most of his 400+ appearances were at non-league Yeovil and Bristol City while they were managed by his dad!

As a manager he has had one cup run of note ( not quite as long as Malcolm Crosby’s). His league finishes are poor, even when given time at Bristol.

Having seen his two interviews, he can definitely talk the talk. Yet for the life of me I cannot see anything in his managerial record that makes him worthy of consideration let alone appointing as our manager.

Last edited:
I’ll come back on this thread and have a right f***ing good laugh later this season.

Still not putting your money down then?
Person A: never even implied Sunderland would definitely be promoted.
Person B: stated very clearly that Sunderland would be relegated.

Now which one should be running to the bookies?

Who, that you've heard, do you think we should have appointed?

So what do we do? Just not bother?
It's not so much who he is, it's the reshuffle itself. Why now? Why not two years ago when Jack Ross wanted it? They can't appease us with a manager so we'll dick about with hierarchy n change a few job titles.

I'm not against technical directors or whatever, but we made a complete arse of this approach twice before, and these owners do not have a good track record when it comes to appointing people. I'm no more appeased about appointing a technical director than I was a new CEO in Jim Rodwell - another one with vast experience and fancy titles at nothing clubs.

Someone made a quip on here a short while back and it's stuck with me - it just feels like we're rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It's also not a move that's going to get us out of League 1 any quicker. It's just one more person to get rid of if and when a real takeover happens.

It's not so much who he is, it's the reshuffle itself. Why now? Why not two years ago when Jack Ross wanted it? They can't appease us with a manager so we'll dick about with hierarchy n change a few job titles.

I'm not against technical directors or whatever, but we made a complete arse of this approach twice before, and these owners do not have a good track record when it comes to appointing people. I'm no more appeased about appointing a technical director than I was a new CEO in Jim Rodwell - another one with vast experience and fancy titles at nothing clubs.

Someone made a quip on here a short while back and it's stuck with me - it just feels like we're rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It's also not a move that's going to get us out of League 1 any quicker. It's just one more person to get rid of if and when a real takeover happens.
Why not now? It's needed. Bizarre logic

I’m more worried about his height. Has there ever been a really good short manager?
Shankly
This post caught my eye with the mention of that midfield - Elliott (ball winner) - Arnott (playmaker) - Rowell (goal scorer). It seemed the complete package until Rowell moved forward and Elliott moved back into defence.

However, nothing I have read about Johnson gives me any hope at all. Most of his 400+ appearances were at non-league Yeovil and Bristol City while they were managed by his dad!

As a manager he has had one cup run of note ( not quite as long as Malcolm Crosby’s). His league finishes are poor, even when given time at Bristol.

Having seen his two interviews, he can definitely talk the talk. Yet for the life of me I cannot see anything in his managerial record that makes him worthy of consideration let alone appointing as our manager.

Im of the opinion that the new owners will be pleasantly surprised if he’s here beyond May.

I heard years ago that Arsenal offered £1M for the three of em combined the season we went down on the strength of the last few months of that season.

Last edited:

Back